We’re transforming Africa through innovative scientific training, technical advances and breakthrough discoveries!
The African Institute for Mathematical Sciences (AIMS, www.nexteinstein.org) is a pan-African network of centres of excellence for postgraduate training, research and public engagement in mathematical sciences. Its mission is to enable Africa’s brightest students to flourish as independent thinkers, problem solvers and innovators capable of propelling Africa’s future scientific, educational and economic self-sufficiency. The first AIMS centre opened in Cape Town, South Africa in 2003; since 2011, AIMS has opened additional centres in Senegal, Ghana, Cameroon, Tanzania and Rwanda. The goal of the AIMS Next Einstein Initiative (AIMS-NEI) is to build a Pan African network of 15 centres of excellence across the continent by 2023.
The AIMS-Next Einstein Initiative is committed to preparing students for successful careers in their area of choice, whether academic, industry, the public sector or other pursuits. To this end, AIMS-NEI has partnered with the MasterCard Foundation to pioneer a so-called Co-op Track of the Master’s program at AIMS Senegal. The pilot version of this program was launched in 2015 and has evolved to be a critical component of the students’ professional growth in Senegal. In addition to the coursework undertaken by all Master Students, the Co-op Track includes periods of internships, during which students bring their knowledge and skills in mathematical sciences to local employers, where they will learn to apply their abilities to solve practical problems and to contribute to innovations. As part of their training, all Master students at AIMS also take courses in professional development and in entrepreneurship and business skills, which should benefit them in their future career and prepare them to make informed career decisions.
If you bring a collaborative spirit with a passion to affect change, consider this opportunity as our…
Student Development & Co-op Manager (SDCM)
Under the direction of the Academic Director and in collaboration with the AIMS Industry Initiative team, the SDCM will be a key point of contact for the students at the Centre as they prepare for their future lives and careers. The SDCM will be a source of support and encouragement and provide the advice and counsel needed to guide students’ personal and professional development and career choices. The SDCM will coordinate curricula and extra-curricular programs which complement and enhance the core mathematical sciences focus of the Centre.
As the SDCM, you will develop, coordinate and be responsible for programs to promote the personal and professional development of AIMS students. You will organize these programs and play leading roles in their delivery. Key outcomes will be to build the necessary knowledge, skills and experience to prepare students to plan and organize their own future lives and livelihoods; to practically contribute to employers’ needs and expectations; and to play leading roles in the social and economic development of Africa.
In this hands-on role, you will embrace the challenge of spearheading student development and the ongoing development of a comprehensive co-op (work integrated learning) program at AIMS Senegal–an pioneering initiative for the AIMS network with significant opportunity for scale-up to distinguish AIMS as an innovative learning institution that consistently produces sought-after graduates by top employers.
This is a full-time opportunity based in Mbour, Senegal.
Do you have what we need?
- Master’s degree or higher qualification in a relevant field e.g. Human Resources/ Marketing/Business
- Must be bilingual (French and English)
- Superb relationship management skills to network and build and nurture fruitful industry partnerships and to effectively interact with diverse students, staff and the public
- 5+ years’ experience in a similar role in an international setting, with particular expertise with African academia
- Working knowledge of the various applications of a mathematical sciences education, as it applies to both industry and higher education pursuits
- A genuine passion for applying mathematical sciences for the development of Senegal and African society
- Be self-driven with the ability to work independently
- Strong communication skills with a demonstrated ability to write and present orally
- Teaching experience at the university level or above is desirable
- Demonstrated evidence of integrity and ethical behaviour
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, PowerPoint, Word and Internet applications (Skype, Google Apps)
- Availability and eligibility to travel within and out of Africa, for periodic extended in-country stays of up to 8 weeks
Are you ready to be a part of the transformation?
Submit your letter of motivation, including salary expectations together with a detailed CV in English to: firstname.lastname@example.org (quote “SDCM SEN” in the subject line). Applications will be accepted until the right candidate is identified.
Should no feedback be received from AIMS-NEI within four weeks of your submission, kindly accept that your application will not be further pursued. AIMS-NEI reserves the right not to make an appointment at its sole discretion.
AIMS-NEI is an equal opportunity employer.