Job Title: Subject Matter Expert, Economic Growth Programming and Training
Location: Europe, Eurasia, and Central Asia
Reports To: Team Leader
Type: Short-term Consultancy
Overview: IBTCI is seeking a Subject Matter Expert for a performance evaluation of two projects focusing on trade in Europe, Eurasia, and Central Asia: (1) the Commercial Law Development Program (CLDP) and (2) the Special American Business Internship Program (SABIT). Both projects are being managed by the U.S. Department of Commerce, though the evaluation is being carried out by the U.S. Department of State, Office of the Coordinator of Assistance to Europe, Eurasia and Central Asia. The Subject Matter Expert must be an expert in firm-level economic growth programming in the countries of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. The period of performance is six months, expected to begin in mid-October 2019 and go through mid-March 2020 with approximately 60 to 70 days of level of effort. This position is contingent upon award.
Scope of Work:
- Serve as Subject Matter Expert in Economic Growth Programming and related Training
- Provide subject matter expertise to team in development of appropriate evaluation plans and tools;
- Participate in data collection and analysis efforts and presentation of findings;
- Support drafting of all reports and deliverables;
- Participate in all meetings, including meetings with donors and implementers, and interviews/key informant interviews/focus group discussions with program beneficiaries and training providers, etc.
- Support preparation of key evaluation findings and recommendations to stakeholders with the Team Leader;
- Assist in planning the workshop at the conclusion of the evaluation.
Serve in the above consultant capacity to support the IBTCI technical practices of Crisis, Conflict & Governance, Agriculture & Food Security & Economic, Education & Growth and Global Health and/or Business Development divisions.
- This position does not authorize/require the consultant to directly communicate with IBTCI clients.
- This position does not authorize/require the consultant to have decision making authority on final work product.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience in private sector, firm-focused economic development program in former communist countries;
- Gender analysis skills;
- Excellent report writing skills;
- Experience working on State Department and/or Department of Commerce evaluations is highly preferred.
- Experience with performance evaluations and project design;
- 4+ years of experience in economic growth programming and training
- 5+ years of experience in post-Soviet Union countries;
- Excellent oral and written skills in English and Russian are required.
Education: Master’s degree in Global Affairs, International Development, Monitoring and Evaluation or related field is required. PhD preferred.
Supervisory Responsibility: This position has no supervisory requirements.
Travel: Travel in and around Azerbaijan, Georgia, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Tajikistan, Ukraine, or Uzbekistan will be required, as well as in the U.S.
Physical Requirements: This is largely a sedentary position that requires the ability to speak, hear, see, and lift small objects up to 20 lbs.
No phone calls please. All candidates will be acknowledged, but only final candidates for particular activities will be contacted.
IBTCI is committed to a policy of equal employment opportunity for all persons without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, marital status, disability, sexual orientation, national origin, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran, or any other classification protected by applicable anti-discrimination laws. We prohibit and do not tolerate any form of discrimination or harassment. We are an E-Verify Employer.
If you are an applicant with a disability that requires a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability, or unable to use the online application system and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact Human Resources at 703-749-0100.
About the Organization
International Business & Technical Consultants, Inc. (IBTCI), a U.S. based international development consulting company established in 1987, has worked in over one hundred countries and implemented over three hundred projects. IBTCI serves government agencies, private sector companies and several donor agencies. IBTCI specializes in Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) across many sectors including, but not limited to, conflict and crisis, democracy and governance, economic growth, education, environment, and global health.