Position: SUBJECT MATTER EXPERT (SME)
Nationality: American National (AN) or Third Country National (TCN)
Required Clearance: Moderate Risk Public Trust (MRPT)
DIRECTLY REPORTS TO: Program Implementer
Tetra Tech seeks candidates to be considered for Subject Matter Expert (SME) position on the INL-funded Justice Sector Support Program (JSSP ) in Afghanistan.
JSSP’s primary objective is to support the development of an Afghan professional cadre that is capable of sustaining, equipping, managing, and enabling its own criminal justice organizations. JSSP provides training and capacity building for Afghan officials in the Ministry of Justice (MOJ), Attorney General’s Office (AGO), Supreme Court (SCt), Ministry of Women’s Affairs (MOWA), and other justice sector organizations. The project has three main components:
Case Management System (CMS): CMS is an online application designed to track criminal and civil cases. The CMS is intended to harmonize and interlink justice institutions to effectively perform their functions.
Organizational Capacity Building (OCB): This component focuses on capacity building for justice institution personnel and ensuring that justice institutions are able to fulfill their mandates and operate independently.
Legislative Capacity Building (LCB): JSSP’s efforts in LCB contribute to ensuring that laws and related documents are coherent, comply with the Constitution, treaties and conventions, and incorporate internationally recognized standards for the protection of women and vulnerable groups.
Duties: The SME has significant technical responsibilities under the contract and shall report to the Project Implementer (PI) for contractual matters and coordinate with the INL/AP Program Manager and CORs on subject matter issues. Specific duties include:
- Provide technical support in all JSSP components to both the U.S. government (in Washington and in Kabul) as well as the Afghanistan-based JSSP team
- Provide technical support in all areas of project development/implementation, monitoring and evaluation, and production of deliverables under this SOW
- Actively participate in recruitment and selection of JSSP personnel based on position description qualifications (or equivalent with the permission of the INL/AP and INL/K Program Managers) with significant input from the in-country JSSP management team
- Play a principal role in the substantive pre-deployment preparation of advisors, working together with INL, who shall oversee other pre-deployment training requirements and manage most administrative aspects of training
- Draft all necessary technical reports and research papers on current issues affecting JSSP and submit those to JSSP personnel and INL as requested and needed by senior management personnel
- Other duties as assigned
- A minimum of 7 years of international experience, including rule of law and/or development programs
- The candidate should demonstrate a comprehensive understanding of formal justice systems, with a particular emphasis on the coordination and interaction between justice institutions/departments
- A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution; Master’s degree or juris doctor preferred
- Excellent communication skills, including public speaking and writing
- Superior interpersonal skills
Please submit a cover letter and resume to ApplyJSSP@tetratech.com referencing the job title and project name in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
About the Organization
Tetra Tech is a global, leading consulting firm providing practical and sustainable international development services. From promoting peace, stability, rule of law, and economic growth, to health and education, to improved natural resource management, Tetra Tech brings an integrated approach that is focused on building the capacity of communities and individuals to create strong, healthy, and resilient societies. With over 16,000 employees in over 400 offices across the globe, Tetra Tech’s capabilities encompass the full life cycle of solutions. Tetra Tech is committed to diversity and gender equality in all of its operations, both in the US and overseas. We strive to reflect these goals in our global mission and in our workforce. We encourage applications from women and underrepresented ethnic, racial, and cultural groups. Tetra Tech is proud to be an Affirmative Action / Equal Opportunity Employer.