Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development and food security in order to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil society. ACDI/VOCA currently has approximately 49 projects in 30 countries and total revenues of $151 million.
Subject Matter Experts, Kenya Dairy Value Chain Project
ACDI/VOCA is currently preparing for a Dairy Value Chain Project in Kenya funded by GIZ. The anticipated project will catalyze innovations in agriculture and food sector with aim to improve small holder’s incomes, increase employment and enhance the regional food supply in the rural target regions of Bungoma, Kakamega and Saya counties. The project will continue strengthening knowledge of dairy farmers in Good Agricultural Practices through ATVET based training; enhancing service orientation of dairy cooperatives, and promotion of commercial production as employment opportunities for youth and women.
For project positions and short-term consulting opportunities, ACDI/VOCA is promptly seeking experts with the experience in the following technical areas:
- Cooperative development and organizational capacity of service providers
- Agricultural extension and training;
- Agricultural Technical Vocational Education and Training (ATVET)
- Food safety
- Dairy production and value chain development;
- Good Husbandry practices in dairy farming;
- Fodder value chain development;
- ICT in agriculture
- Gender and Youth empowerment
While each position will have its own operational and technical scope under the project, overall qualifications will meet the below:
- University degree in agricultural science, agricultural economics, animal sciences or related discipline; Master’s degree or other advanced degree strongly preferred
- Minimum 20 years of working experience in rural development projects either in the area of agricultural extension or/and cooperative development or/and dairy farming (for long term positions)
- Practical knowledge of ATVET approach and excellent training skills
- Excellent knowledge of dairy value chain support activities of government and non-government organisations and donors in Kenya and good networking abilities
- Client and partner orientation, efficient work practices, interdisciplinary thinking and training experience are required
- Experience of collaboration with GIZ or other donors is an asset
- Extraordinary coordination and communication skills
- Fluent (written and spoken) in English
Kenya Nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
The applications will be reviewed promptly upon receipt, only finalists will be contacted. ACDI/VOCA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, minorities and people from diverse groups are encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
ACDI/VOCA is a private, nonprofit organization that promotes broad-based economic growth and the development of civil society in emerging democracies and developing countries. Offering a comprehensive range of technical assistance services, ACDI/VOCA addresses the most pressing and intractable development problems. Driven by the goal of adding value to local enterprise, which underlies prosperity and stability, ACDI/VOCA works in five main practice areas: * Agribusiness * Enterprise Development * Financial Services * Community Development * Food Security The ACDI/VOCA Difference ACDI/VOCA has a proven record of development success dating back more than 45 years. This experience coupled with operational integrity, technical expertise and the ability to operate at scale means that clients and partners can always expect positive results from ACDI/VOCA. ACDI/VOCA is also distinguished by its: * identity as a nonprofit that means business * proficiency at grassroots, self-help organizing * private sector and market orientation * dedication to beneficiary gains in income, jobs and savings * leadership in value chain approaches to enterprise development * legacy of lasting institutions and organizations * vast talent bank * experience working on a regional/global scale * network of U.S. and international partners * systems approach to technical solutions and operations * grants-management capacity * cutting-edge approaches to fragile/failing states, trade capacity building, public-private partnership, information and communications technology and integrated HIV/AIDS programming * experience with large indefinite quantity contracts (IQCs)