The primary responsibility of the Development Outreach Communications (DOC) Specialist is the production and dissemination of public information regarding the Mission and its development portfolio. The DOC will lead outreach efforts within PRO and help to streamline, coordinate, design, manage and disseminate strategic messaging of USAID foreign assistance programs in Bangladesh. The incumbent will lead the team to create thematic campaigns to promote and strengthen an understanding of USAID programs for both Bangladeshi and American audiences.
The DOC team is expected to coordinate closely with the U.S. Embassy strategic goals and to effectively achieve the USG objectives and work closely with the Embassy Public Affairs Section (PAS), USAID mission staff, local news agencies, and USAID partners. The incumbent will be USAID/Bangladesh’s primary point of contact and liaison for all information requests on program activities. S/he will supervise a highly motivated team of three Bangladeshi professionals. The DOC team collaborates closely with technical offices and implementing partners, providing oversight, advice and guidance in developing and implementing the Mission’s communication strategy. The incumbent will also work directly with mission management to support USAID / Bangladesh strategic goals including, but not limited to, those outlined in the Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS) and/or the Integrated Country Strategy.
A key function of this position will also be to mentor the DOC team and build the capacity of mission staff and implementing partners to develop more effective communication plans and materials. S/he will also serve as principal liaison with the Agency’s Legislative and Public Affairs Bureau in Washington (USAID/LPA).
STATEMENT OF DUTIES TO BE PERFORMED:
Strategic Communication Planning and implementation (30%)
The Supervisory Development Outreach Communications Specialist is responsible for aligning Bangladesh communication messages and activities with USAID-wide communication strategy and initiatives (for example the Journey to Self-Reliance and the Indo-Pacific Strategy). The incumbent will:
- Guide communication team resources (contracts, mission staff) are deployed strategically in support of key communication objectives in alignment with USAID/Bangladesh priorities and strategy.
- Ensure communication materials and engagements are strategically supportive of mission initiatives.
- Coordinate with PAS, other USG agencies, and USAID implementing partners to achieve maximum exposure and understanding of U.S. development efforts and initiatives.
- Coordinate with technical teams (especially their communication specialists) to understand compelling stories and execute communication activities.
- Identify and execute metrics to measure effectiveness of communication materials and activities by using creative/ innovative approaches to communicate messages to key stakeholders.
- Develop communication materials including infographics and social media campaigns.
- Work with the mission’s collaborating, learning, and adapting specialist to capture and effectively share information related to USAID interventions.
- Lead the development and implementation of the mission’s communications strategy and outreach plan;
- Monitor and evaluate progress toward communications objectives as outlined in the mission approved communications strategy.
- Collaborate with the private sector partnership team to develop strategic plans and to create publicity materials, events, social media engagement in support of the creation of new partnerships.
- Strategize on communication campaigns and activities to strengthen existing partnerships and foster new partnerships.
- Ensure quality control of documentation related to briefing material and outreach-related decisions/actions within USAID and other agencies with whom the mission collaborates.
Public Information and Publicity Materials (30%)
- Serve as a resident expert on USAID branding and style guidelines, ensuring regulations are followed by recommending revisions and appropriate application as outlined in ADS 320 and the Agency’s Graphic Standards Manual.
- Coordinate information dissemination, media outreach, and public events within the mission; with the mission’s offices and technical staff; and with implementing partners.
- Manage the drafting, editing, and disseminating of timely and accurate information, sector overviews, press releases, responses to requests for information, and all other public information materials relating to USAID/Bangladesh’s activities.
- Prepare and/or oversee submissions for the mission director’s weekly report, USAID Frontlines, and other USAID public information platforms including the Administrator’s Blog, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media.
- Oversee social media platforms ensuring engagement s is substantive and strategic.
- Oversee the maintenance of the mission’s English-language web materials to ensure that they are accurate and up-to-date.
- Manage the preparation and maintenance of an updated standard information package on the USAID program in Bangladesh for briefings and for distribution to the public, the media,
- Oversee the creation of materials that tell the story of USAID’s investments in Bangladesh to a variety of key stakeholders.
Media Relations and Press (20%)
- Promote separate, pro-active, targeted, information and media outreach activities for the Bangladeshi, US, and international press through the selective use of radio, television, newspapers, magazines, public service announcements, advertisements, billboards, and traditional communication and other fora.
- Oversee international and local media relations. Work closely with PAS on press relations and maintain contacts with high-level journalists from all media outlets.
- Advice and work with Embassy PAS to expand opportunities for coverage of USAID assistance, including TV, radio, and other media.
- Coordinate with Government of Bangladesh public relations offices, maintaining good relations and advising on publicizing joint events.
- Supervise the monitoring of the Bangladesh and international press coverage, awareness, and attitudes concerning USAID programs.
- Reporting on placement of USAID-related articles in the Bangladeshi, regional, international, and U.S. press to the embassy, mission, and Washington.•
- Provide feedback to inform ongoing activities and future programming, as well as the effectiveness of the communications strategy.
Coordination and Representation (10%)
- Serve as the mission’s primary point of contact for publicity events and site visits by official visitors from the U.S. Embassy, USAID/Washington, Congress, and other USG agencies or entities.
- Coordinate VIP site visits and lead preparation of briefing materials, scene setters, and other information products and processes to support these visits.
- Maintain a diverse list of potential site visit locations appropriate for a variety of CODEL, STAFFDEL, and other high-level visitors to USAID/Bangladesh,
- Represent the mission at the senior level in all matters pertaining to USAID public affairs and outreach activities with other branches of the USG, the Government of Bangladesh, implementing partners, and other donors and institutions.
Supervisory and Coordination Role (10%)
- Lead the mission’s DOC team comprised of three full time members to ensure overall quality and coherence of the team’s communications and outreach products and initiatives.
- Advise and coordinate with communication specialists in other technical offices at the mission, as well as with implementing partner communication specialists.
- Advise USAID staff and implementing partners on developing appropriate public information programs and initiatives, as well as their communications and media strategy and relations.
- Train, prepare and supervise USAID’s staff and partners in support of their public speaking and media outreach roles.
- Oversee the integration of communications in the project design and implementation process.
- Oversee and provide regular trainings to USAID staff and implementing partners on the appropriate use of branding and marking. Work closely with office of acquisition and assistance (OAA), contracting/agreement officer’s representative (C/AORs) to ensure adherence to branding in the field. Seek guidance from regional legal officer and LPA on any disputes or waiver requests.
- Serve as the C/AOR and/or activity manager for communication contracts, cooperative agreements and grants.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.