Are you passionate about developing supply chain and logistics solutions that will benefit the way WFP provides food assistance to thousands of beneficiaries? Are you interested in joining the largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide? Are you ready to change and save the lives of the world’s most vulnerable people? If yes, this opportunity is for you.
At WFP, we are looking for talented professionals that would like to join our FIT Pool, in Supply Chain and Logistics to contribute to the planning and coordination of field supply chain / logistics operations or provide analytics, to work toward an effective and integrated supply chain approach that meets the food assistance needs of beneficiaries and service provision requirements for partners.
Supply Chain and Logistics are fundamental on the entire process of end-to-end planning, sourcing and delivering of assistance. This covers safe and quality food, goods and transport, as well as shared supply chain services for WFP, its partners and the entire humanitarian community.
What is the FIT Pool? With the launch of the Future International Talent (FIT) Pool, WFP seeks to build a pool of highly qualified, dynamic professionals of all levels who wish to work in any of WFP’s countries of operation, including emergency and hardship duty stations.
Professionals, at any point in their career, that are looking for new challenges serving a humanitarian purpose, are welcome to join the WFP family to contribute to achieving Zero Hunger.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
As a Supply Chain and Logistics Officer (P2 UN professional level), you will:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of supply chain plans and procedures to achieve operational cost efficiency, agility, reliability, quality and to support national capacity strengthening.
- Contribute to regional and country context analyses and to the management of end-to-end operational supply chain and retail networks, to address operational supply chain challenges and optimization needs.
- Plan and implement supply chain initiatives and services to ensure a timely, cost-effective and integrated approach working in cooperation with key partners.
- Perform analyses and detailed conceptual work putting together comprehensive reports, finding opportunities for improvement and effective operationalization of supply chain within the area of responsibility.
- Conduct regular financial analysis and budget reviews, drawing out insights and recommending actions to senior staff to improve the use of resources and effectiveness of supply chain operations.
- Build and maintain positive relationships mostly at the operational level and collaborate with counterparts in the key supply chain functions, contributing to an integrated supply chain approach to food assistance and cross-functional operational alignment.
- Build and maintain positive relationships with supply chain counterparts amongst government and other national organizations, UN agencies, NGOs and private sector to share operational knowledge, contributing to coordinated and cost-effective supply chain operations.
- Analyze the market and map supply chain networks to influence the selection of appropriate operation modalities to improve supply chain performance.
- Support management of supply chain operations, or handle less complex supply chain operations, in compliance with the established supply chain strategies, policies, procedures and controls, and following corporate standards, with emphasis on quality control, loss prevention, risk mitigation, and costeffectiveness.
- Support the monitoring of supply chain activities to check that appropriate internal controls are followed to increase the day-to-day efficiencies and overall performance of supply chain operations.
- Support management of service providers / vendors, port, fleet and warehouse operations to promote safe, efficient planning and execution of WFP operations.
- Prepare accurate, comprehensive and timely reports, dashboards and other visual materials on supply chain activities, to support informed decision-making and consistency of information presented to the partners.
- Guide and supervise your direct reports, acting as a point of referral, providing training, mentorship, and feedback.
- Contribute to preparedness actions and support quick emergency response to deploy food and resources at the onset of the crisis.
- Take responsibility for integrating protection and gender perspectives in all areas of work, to ensure equal participation of women and men.
- Other as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Advanced University degree preferably in Supply Chain Management, Engineering, Economics, Business Administration, Logistics, or other related field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses. (Check this website: https://www.whed.net/home.php)
- At least 3 years of postgraduate progressively responsible professional experience and a proven track record in logistics or supply chain.
- Fluency (level C) in English language.
- Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese required. Language will be tested.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience coordinating supply chain and logistics activities with other teams;
- Experience in analyzing and supporting the implementation of end-to-end supply chain/logistics operations;
- Experience in implementing supply chain improvement initiatives;
- Experience conducting analytical and conceptual work;
- Experience in coordinating periodic planning across functions and with partners;
- Experience working with external partners and stakeholders;
- Experience supervising staff.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
If you are selected, you will be placed in the FIT Pool and may be contacted as the needs arise for fixed-term international positions in any of the countries in which WFP operates, including hardship duty stations. The FIT Pool membership will last 2 years.
Mobility is the essence of WFP and continues to be a core contractual requirement in WFP. These positions are rotational which means that you shall be subject to the regular reassignment process unless the position is reclassified as non-rotational. Professional level positions are rotational on a period of 2 to 4 years.
WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details, please visit icsc.un.org.
Do you want to know more about WFP?
- WFPs work: http://www.wfp.org/
- Compensation: https://info.undp.org/gssu/onlinetools/SalCalcInt/SalCalcInt.aspx
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
20 March 2019
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and
within three years of ceasing that service.
About the Organization
ABOUT WFP AND THE FIT POOL
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive Basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
WFP strives to build a work environment that is safe and respectful, and free of sexual harassment and abuse of authority. We believe in open communication, and every individual at WFP is treated with regardless of gender, age, ethnicity, religious and political beliefs, etc.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. At WFP, we are driven and defined by our mission to fight world hunger, save lives, feed people’s dreams of a brighter future, reduce risk and help enable people, communities and countries meet their own food and nutrition needs. WFP goes anywhere it’s needed and does what it takes to get the job done. You will find our people at the heart of every major humanitarian intervention around the world, providing the essential life-saving foundation required for those furthest behind. Each year, we reach an average of 80 million people with food assistance in around 80 countries. Delivering our mission requires deep respect for personal and cultural differences and close collaboration between every member of our global team. While the 16,000 people working for WFP reflect the rich diversity of the world in which we work, the vital importance of our shared mission underpins a remarkably close community of purpose.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is offering life-changing job opportunities you are unlikely to find in other organizations. Working at WFP will give you the opportunity to work beyond your expectations, to be enriched by truly meaningful work and deepen your professional expertise.
The Future International Talent Pool (FIT Pool) is an entry point for a professional international career with WFP. WFP is looking to build a pool of highly qualified and dynamic talents interested in going to any of our 80 countries in which WFP operates, including hardship duty stations, when the need arises.
A FIT Pool member is placed on the pool for a period up to 2 years during which he/ she is considered with priority each time WFP has a specific need for a Fixed Term International Professional staff member in his/her functional area and level.
For more information: http://www1.wfp.org/fit-pool