The Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Project is a USAID-funded 5-year, $209 million global task order that works to strengthen health systems as a means to achieve universal health coverage and improve population health and well-being. Interventions will focus on reducing financial barriers, holding health services accountable for meeting all clients’ needs and making sure that the care patients receive meets minimum standards. USAID’s LHSS Vietnam activity will focus on improving health financing for HIV and TB prevention and control, strengthening supply chain systems, and supporting the expansion of the Social Health Insurance (SHI) scheme to improve the provision of quality care and treatment at a national scale. The project will work collaboratively at the national level with the Government of Vietnam (GVN), particularly the Ministry of Health and the Vietnam Social Security (VSS) to support GVN efforts to increase sustainable domestic financing for health, including TB and HIV, ensure quality of HIV care, and to seek efficiencies in health spending and procurement and supply chain management.
The Supply Chain Management Lead will provide strategic leadership, management, and technical direction and support to the project team and counterparts in the implementation of activities. This will include strengthening the capacity of Vietnam’s supply chain management system to ensure a continuous and uninterrupted supply of best value quality commodities that drive improved patient outcomes. The Supply Chain Management Lead will report to the Deputy Chief of Party.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic leadership in supply chain management system strengthening activities. These activities may include supporting the Ministry of Health and pharmaceutical companies to enable market openness for HIV commodities; supporting the government to develop and implement policies/mechanisms that address key procurement challenges such as low volume procurement and products with limited suppliers; and supporting the Ministry of Health to develop and implement an annual HIV/AIDS commodities procurement and supply plans, and a long-term HIV/AIDS commodities supply chain strategy.
- Lead and manage the implementation of activities aimed at strengthening the government of Vietnam’s supply chain management capabilities
- Ensure supply chain management activities are conducted in coordination with ongoing project and government of Vietnam activities
- Build lasting in-country capacity for supply chain management
- Contribute to reporting, update and implementation of the technical strategies, identifying technical assistance needs, and mobilizing required technical resources and staff
- Implement activities in a way that is harmonized with project objectives to ensure complementary and efficient implementation
- Contribute to the timely production of quality deliverables to USAID, such as quarterly and annual reports, work plans, budgets, technical reports, and publications
- Guide, coordinate and collaborate with project staff and partners in the implementation of cross-cutting activities
- Coordinate with international and local subcontractors, working with regional and technical staff to ensure that all activities and outputs are technically sound and appropriate
- Master’s Degree (minimum), or a Doctorate (desirable), in Public Health, Business Administration, Finance, or other relevant field
- At least 8-10 years of relevant professional experience with a Masters Degree, or 6-8 years with a PhD
- Substantial developing country context experience, in facilitation of health financing system development and strengthening, including central level coordination and systems integration
- Experience in capacity building in the area of financial management
- Knowledge and past work experience with USAID projects
- Proven experience working with the Government of Vietnam and Ministry of Health strongly desired
- Knowledge of supply chain management issues and key stakeholders in Vietnam, including experience with MOH and VSS highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government counterparts and coordinate various actors such as different Ministry of Health units, Vietnam Social Security other ministries and government agencies, donors and NGOs
- Proven professional knowledge of MS Office applications and appropriate organizational skills
- Fluent in Vietnamese with excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.