NCBA CLUSA is currently seeking a qualified candidate for the position of Sustainable Landscapes Specialist for a USAID-funded global development alliance (GDA) project in Madagascar. The project will focus on improving biodiversity, sustainable landscapes and livelihoods through the vanilla value chain. The Sustainable Landscapes Specialist should have significant management, training, and field implementation experience; experience managing private-sector partnerships and working with cooperatives; a commitment to real capacity-building; and experience successfully implementing integrated value chain and environmental interventions. The expected duration of the project is 3 years and the position will be based in Doany, Andapa District.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
- Design and execute integrated activities to promote sustainable landscape improvements and vanilla production
- Lead GHG emissions reduction activities, natural resource management, good agricultural practices, certification compliance and good governance
- Support farmers in reducing environmental threats
- Coordinate project activities with the Biodiversity Specialist
- Facilitate good, regular communication with private sector partners, project staff, and with partner cooperatives
- Ensure the effective use and coordination of USAID resources and the compliance of the financial systems and controls with USAID standards.
- A Bachelor’s degree or higher in environmental science, natural resource management, or other related field is required.
- 6+ years of experience in implementing USAID or other donor-funded projects in sustainable landscape and/or NRM activities in Madagascar
- Experience working with farmers organizations, preferably with cooperatives
- Excellent communication (both oral and written), analytical, organizational, interpersonal, and cross-cultural skills
- Experience in private sector approaches to development and managing private sector partnerships
- Demonstrated ability in the concepts, principles, methods and evidence-based research relating to the design and implementation of integrated environmental/agricultural interventions.
- Experience working in the vanilla value chain is preferred
- Proven ability to produce results in challenging contexts
- Fluency in French and Malagasy is required
- Ability to travel to and work in remote project locations in challenging conditions
About the Organization
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the primary voice for people who use cooperative businesses to build a better world and a more inclusive economy. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For over 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 85 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.