Syrian Local Consultant
Background: USAID is planning to launch a project in North East Syria to restore livelihood and revive economies local communities. The new project is called Syria Livelihoods project, which aims to foster resilience and stability in conflict-affected communities across North East Syria. The project is expected to begin the of summer 2020 for an initial 2 years with the possibility of extension. In order to prepare for this proposal, BKM IDS, LLC is currently recruiting a short-term consultant to collect data from the field (North East Syria) based on the following terms of reference:
Duration of the assignment: 10 working days
Dates of the assignment: March 1, 2020 till April 30, 2020
Location of the assignment: North East Syria
Nationality of the consultant: Syrian
IDS believes in resolving conflict and building innovative approaches to do so. Combining operational expertise with an intimate understanding of today’s greatest challenges to bring our customers the solutions required for success in a complex and multidimensional world. We tailor solutions for a diverse range of government, military, nonprofit, and public-sector clients.
- The consultant is required to collect data using face to face interviews with key informants about the following topics:
- Current situation and priorities of professional livelihoods and skilled trades, including in the finance, construction, legal, agribusiness, transportation, import/export, telecommunications, health, retail, travel, and other technical, trade, and service sectors in target communities.
- Current situation and priorities of local industries, such as construction value-chains, alternative energy value chains, transportation, and travel value chains, import/trade/retail value chains, and other sectors as opportunities arise in target communities, especially as linked to restoration of essential services or vocational training.
- Current situation and priority of vocational training. The number of vocational training institutes, locations, disciplines taught, etc. Need to restore capacity.
- Current situation and priorities of entrepreneurs. Who is currently supporting them? Can we partner with local or international organizations?
- Current situation and priorities of microfinance, mobile banking, investment, and other sources of capital or credit in target communities.
- Current situation and priorities of telecommunications (mobile phones and internet services) in targeted communities.
- Other livelihoods implementers and stakeholders.
- Provide details on the local economic governance actors, the private sector, civil society (i.e., unions, professional associations), and other stakeholders. What are their needs and priorities to properly function.
- The consultant should write a report summarizing findings and recommendations.
- The consultant should collect any further information based on the feedback from the proposal team.
- This consultant must be able to travel to different parts of North Easy Syria.
- A university degree in political science, business administration or similar field.
- A minimum of bachelor’s degree and preferably a master’s degree.
- Has a functional computer and knowledge to create, communicate and share reports and findings.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in research and development preferably with an international organization.
- Familiarity with NES, the private sector and economic development.
- Excellent interviewing and data collection skills.
- Strong data analysis and reporting skills.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state, and local law.
About the Organization
IDS and its team of experts have built a strong reputation for their unparalleled depth of multi-disciplinary expertise in the 3Ds - defense, development, and diplomacy. We maintain an extensive network of interagency and smart power experts who have recently served in complex operations environments. Since 2001, IDS has helped develop multi-disciplinary solutions to government and private sector challenges. Our subject matter experts in civil-military operations, social science research, and analysis, training and capacity building work closely with customers to create solutions that cross boundaries and reflect best practices.