System Architect Consultancy
Funded under the US President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) through a cooperative agreement with the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Kenya Health Management Information Systems (HMIS) II Project supports the Kenya Ministry of Health, county governments and healthcare service delivery partners to implement technological innovations in health information systems. These innovations include the development and scale up of electronic medical records systems (EMRs) for clinical decision support and improved patient care, the development of the Kenya National Data Warehouse (NDW), a centralized data repository of data from EMRs for analysis and reporting, the development of an interoperability layer to support the exchange of da across systems, and numerous other innovations including patient identification using smart cards, informatics solutions to support health surveillance, and mHealth solutions to support data collection at the community level.
In the coming year, the Kenya HMIS II project will be consolidating its health information systems and requires assistance to prepare for this migration effort.
Kenya HMIS II is looking for a consultant to conduct an end-to-end assessment of the Kenya HMIS II data solutions. The consultant will work with the project’s Solutions Architect and EMR leads to conduct this assessment of the solutions’ design, data flow, and alignment with standards. The outputs of this work will include a revised end-to-end architecture for all products and a system migration plan.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Work closely with the Solutions Architect and EMR leads to assess the end-to-end architecture of KeHMIS products to understand the design, data flow, and implementation of standards.
- Develop a revised end-to-end architecture for all products; stress test this architecture with the local software development team
- Meet with key EMR stakeholders to understand potential risks and resistance to system migration; guide conversations toward the value of system migration to increase buy-in for the transition
- To prepare for EMR migration, develop a migration plan that includes data security recommendations to avoid data loss
- Master’s Degree in information technology, information science, or a related field
- At least ten years’ experience with the design and implementation of health management information systems in low- and middle-income countries
- At least eight years’ experience with business systems analysis
Skills and abilities
- Excellent understanding of the design principles of software architecture
- Ability to conduct research into systems issues and products as required
- Excellent analytical, mathematical, and creative problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Logical thinking
- Keen attention to detail
- Ability to communicate ideas in both technical and user-friendly language
- Highly self-motivated and directed
Other Key Information
- A two-week trip to Nairobi, Kenya will be required for the assessment
- The role involves approximately 20 days of effort