Chemonics seeks a systems strengthening director to support USAID’s Global Health Supply Chain – Procurement and Supply Management (GHSC-PSM) project in Malawi. The systems strengthening director will promote and oversee supply chain system strengthening by building the Ministry of Health and program staff’s ability to improve management and accountability of heath commodities across multiple supply chains. S/he will collaborate with the team responsible for the rollout and deployment of a national web-based logistics management information system (LMIS) to improve data visibility and decision-making for supply chain management, and will identify, develop, and implement new mechanisms for strengthening accountability and security of health commodities in Malawi. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Work with the country director to develop strategies for project-supported health system strengthening and supply chain management technical assistance
- At the country director’s request, attend technical meetings and represent the project to USAID, partners, and the Ministry of Health, corresponding with partners and stakeholders at the central, regional, and district levels
- Assess existing use of health commodity supply and distribution systems and logistics management information systems (LMIS) in Malawi and recommend feasible options to strengthen management and accountability of health commodities along the supply chain
- Lead, coach, and mentor local staff to design and implement technical assistance and capacity building initiatives that improve the ability of ministry staff at the facility, district, regional, and central levels to manage supply and distribution of priority health commodities
- Oversee implementation of targeted training and capacity building programs to improve pharmaceutical management, use of data and electronic information systems, quality assurance, and accountability at the facility, district, regional, and central levels; revise programs based on ongoing evaluations
- Oversee development of technical manuals, guidelines, and standard operating procedures for health system strengthening
- Manage design, development, and implementation of health and logistics systems supporting health commodities including family planning, malaria, HIV, voluntary medical male circumcision, and lab commodities
- Support implementation of system strengthening initiatives and pilots, including the continued national rollout of a web-based LMIS, performance-based financing for supply chain strengthening, unmanned aerial vehicles, etc.
- Help the Ministry of Health regularly review and support implementation of a national maintenance plan for prefabricated storage units at health facilities
- When requested, provide technical oversight and direction for subcontractors supporting implementation of various project activities
- Document and track lessons learned to support rollout of health and logistics systems
- Bachelor’s degree in health systems, public policy or a related field required; advanced degree preferred
- Minimum eight years of experience in health systems strengthening, including experience in southern Africa
- Minimum eight years of experience with increasing responsibility for designing, managing, and implementing systems strengthening programs in developing countries, including experience in southern Africa, preferably in Malawi
- Previous field experience desired (including long-term overseas positions or extended short-term engagements), preferably in Malawi or elsewhere in southern Africa
- Demonstrated ability to manage and implement complex USAID-funded public health programs or projects in a developing country or low-resource contexts
- Experience building effective relationships with cooperating partners and stakeholders, especially local and national government counterparts
- Experience coaching, mentoring, and supervising large teams and ensuring the quality and timeliness of their products
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with demonstrated diplomacy and the ability to communicate effectively in a cross-cultural environment
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office products, including Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly and concisely orally and in writing
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluent written and spoken English
Please submit a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 29, 2019. Please include “Systems Strengthening Director” in the subject line.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. For more information, please read the EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice here: https://chemonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/EU-Recruiting-Data-Privacy-Notice-12.2018.pdf
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.