The ThinkWell Talent Director reports to the Managing Director, Agility and provides leadership for all talent (human resources) functions including recruitment, compensation and benefits, performance management and employee engagement efforts. The director acts as a strategic advisor to the firm’s executives on all talent-related issues and partners with ThinkWell managers globally to develop and implement strategies, programs and systems to ensure that our people are fully equipped to achieve our mission.
What you’ll do:
- Work with the Leadership and Management Teams to plan for growth, identify current and future talent needs, identify and remove roadblocks to agile project implementation and enable the firm’s increasingly diverse and dispersed staff to achieve impact and thrive professionally.
- Execute programs and initiatives that support ThinkWell business strategy and entrepreneurial culture including:
- Design and implement consistent global benefits & compensation systems
- Design skills framework to guide recruitment, professional development and career pathing
- Create job title system to align the wide array of job functions and categories within our growing global projects and business units
- Manage small Talent team including a Country Talent Manager, Global Office Talent Manager, Recruitment Manager and a Talent Generalist. Provide overall team leadership, coordination, guidance and direction.
- Provide counsel, coaching and training to team managers across the firm in the areas of employee relations, performance management and leadership.
- Ensure in-country Talent teams are structured, managed and trained adequately to support agile project implementation.
Talent Leadership and Reporting
- Design and report on talent-related metrics crucial to ThinkWell business growth and impact.
- Lead efforts related to diversity, equity, and inclusiveness and create the culture and structure in which employees have opportunities to learn and grow.
- Implement performance management system to enable career progression, continuous performance monitoring and feedback.
- Oversee employee relations, global employee safety and duty of care, immigration compliance and ensure ThinkWell complies with the array of international employment regulations and legal structures in which we work.
- Represent ThinkWell as needed externally with other business Talent leaders to ensure the firm stays current and visible in our field globally.
Who you are
- Inspiring leader who models the principles of conscious leadership and embraces facilitation and mentorship as the primary tools for leadership;
- Ability to rally staff around ThinkWell’s advocacy-oriented and transformative vision
- Possesses a distaste for the status quo of the development sector with a burning desire to catalyze its transformation;
- Has a ‘can-do’, ‘anything is possible, ‘start-up’ ethos combined with a strong sense of urgency and action orientation;
- Strong belief that traditional, top-down management is a relic of the past and used as a last-resort management tool. Instead, you possess a strong desire to lead with a facilitative and mentoring approach;
- Thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of achieving development outcomes;
- Burning penchant to fearlessly challenge conventional wisdom;
- Committed to modeling a work culture that strongly espouses individual authenticity, radical feedback, intelligent failure, and collective impact;
- Ability to flourish in a dynamic organization that fundamentally values iteration and evolution over stability and predictability;
- Ability to externally represent and convey ThinkWell’s passion, conviction, impatience, anger, and desire to see change;
- Intuitive ability to relate and connect with people from different cultures, orientations, and operating lenses (political, technical, funder, business partner, etc); with special acumen on maintaining positive relations in a virtual world.
- BA/BS and 12+ years experience or graduate degree and 10+ years experience;
- Substantial professional experience in talent (human resources) management and leadership within organizations operating internationally with a demonstrated track record of progressively increasing responsibility and delivery.
- Demonstrated record of designing, implementing, and overseeing key Talent areas including recruitment, benefits planning and administration, performance management, employee relations, staff travel safety and duty of care, immigration and work permits, HR compliance.
- Significant people management experience in a global organization working across multiple, disparate geographies. Experience working in developing countries strongly preferred.
- Experience working in donor-funded and project-based organizations.
- Willingness to travel internationally.
- Ability to plan, prioritize and problem solve in a fast-paced and limited resource environment.
- High emotional IQ and a reputation for working successfully on teams in a collaborative and constructive manner.
- Demonstrated skills in strategy development and implementation, leadership, capacity building, mentoring, and team building.
About the Organization
Do you believe that everyone deserves access to good health, nutrition and education? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health, food and nutrition and education sectors? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible development organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in quality of life outcomes. To date much of our work has been in the global health space where we always question and disrupt conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done. We develop solutions tailored to a client’s context and political realities and do not replicate global models and all-purpose solutions and believe in pragmatisms over ideology. We know that to drive change, we must focus on how the world could be, rather than making excuses for the status quo.