The Talent and Human Resources (HR) Manager is responsible for helping Panagora’s global team achieve its mission by designing and implementing policies and programs for recruitment and selection, compensation and benefits, onboarding, performance management, staff development, employee relations, and employment practices. The manager will provide leadership, counsel, and advice to managers and senior leadership on policies and practices to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and recommend approaches with positive impact on employee morale and the overall success of the company.
The manager reports directly to the Vice President of Operations and Finance and will partner with leadership to support and develop the talent management strategy and goals for the organization. This is a two-person corporate HR team working with project-based HR staff located outside the U.S. This position is based in Silver Spring, MD.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Talent Acquisition/ Culture & Staff Development:
- Oversees development of position descriptions for all home office employees and long-term project employees
- Advises on all recruitment and selection activities, including updating related policies and procedures
- Oversees all interviewing, testing, selection, and hiring activities to ensure compliance and consistent practices
- Manages the employee onboarding process, periodically evaluating to ensure a positive new employee experience which allows employees to quickly become productive and integrated
- Coordinates with managers and leadership to promote and foster a culture of collaboration among staff
- Updates and appropriately shares human resources policies, procedures, workable methods, and guidelines;
- Leads by example and encourages staff to “live” the core values of the organization
- Maintains professional networks, participates in professional organizations and reviews publications to remain an informed and knowledgeable asset to leadership
- Builds rapport by working closely with all staff to solve key problems and provides innovative solutions for people and our culture
- Supports staff development and recommends approaches to measure and implement staff trainings and growth opportunities
Compensation, Benefits, and Compliance:
- Plans, develops and implements new and revised compensation programs, policies and procedures, as required
- Administers wage and salary plan to ensure consistent practices across the organization
- Oversees job analysis and evaluation process to help determine organizational needs
- Conducts wage and salary surveys and gathers competitive market salary data
- Plans, develops and implements benefit programs and policies to provide the best competitive packages to employees
- Identifies emerging benefit trends and works with VP of Operations and Finance and Broker to negotiate and assure a competitive employee benefits program
- Educates employees on benefit programs to assist them in maximizing their compensation package
- Utilizes payroll and benefits provider systems to accurately maintain employee records and manage benefit selection
- Analyzes costs and negotiates/works with insurance brokers or carriers to ensure maximum coverage at minimum cost to Vital Voices and employees
- Refines and administers organizational policies and procedures that aligns with best HR practices
- Provides leadership and counsel to senior leadership, managers, and employees concerning application of policies and procedures in compliance with applicable laws and recommends appropriate action
- Advises managers on organizational policy matters such as equal employment opportunity, harassment, FMLA, etc.
- Maintains knowledge of industry trends and employment legislation
Employee Relations & Performance Evaluation:
- Functions as HR expert advisor on legal matters and compliance issues
- Monitors performance evaluation program and revises as necessary
- Handles employee relations counseling, and facilitates conflict resolution, working with senior leadership, managers, and employees as necessary
- Acts as a trusted confidant to all employees, proactively addressing difficult employee related issues and drive to resolution
- Works closely with management and employees to improve work relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and retention
- Conducts independent exit interviews with employees and then initiates supporting feedback for Managers
- Develops and maintains standardized human resources processes for hiring, training, onboarding, departures, and performance evaluation processes
- Assists with the implementation of human resources programs for all foreign entities with a concentration on host-country labor laws and legal issues
- Oversees employee records management and procedures for controlling transactions and reporting data. Assures that employee records are compliant with state and federal laws
- Oversees implementation of international assignments, long- and short-term agreements, hiring of local nationals outside the United States and handling expatriate tax issues, in cooperation with payroll
- Coordinates payroll activity with Payroll Manager regarding benefits, allowances, and deductions.
- Works closely with benefit brokers during open enrollment and subsequent changes
- Develops and maintains affirmative action program; files EEO-1 annually; maintains other records, reports and logs to conform to EEO regulations.
Required Education, Experience, and Competencies:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources Management, business administration or a related field
- 7+ years of progressively responsible HR experience, or Master’s degree in HRM and at least 5 years related experience
- HRCI or SHRM certification, highly desired
- HR experience in an international development donor organization preferred
- Demonstrated experience/expertise in employment law regulations and compliance
- Experience managing benefits and claims: 401(k), medical, dental, STD, LTD, FMLA, Life and Worker’s Compensation
- Excellent skills in managing competing work priorities
- Remain calm and focused during periods of hectic activity
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to handle employee conflicts and differences by interpreting verbal/ non-verbal behavior, detecting perceptions and needs of employees, understanding and valuing employee differences
- Exemplary customer service skills
- Demonstrated business acumen and the ability to understand business strategy and goals.
- Requires working knowledge of MS Office
- Ability to work independently and with a team
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills including prioritization and good attention to details
This position is a full-time, exempt position based in Silver Spring, MD. Panagora Group does not provide work visa sponsorship or relocation assistance for this position.
About the Organization
Panagora Group is a woman-owned small business providing novel and integrated solutions in global health and international development. Our vision is to provide high-quality, high-impact social and economic development consulting, with a special focus on public-private partnerships, human and institutional capacity-building, knowledge sharing and collaborative learning, NGO/community engagement, and integrated solutions that build country capacity and independence.
Please visit our website at https://panagoragroup.net/jobs/ to apply. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
Panagora Group is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices.
*Note: Panagora does not offer visa sponsorship at this time.