The Tanzania Technical Lead will be based in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania and will work with Tanzanian government institutions, the energy sector donor and project developer community, and relevant civil society groups and NGOs. This position may potentially be embedded within the Ministry of Energy or TANESCO depending on project demands.
The Technical Lead is expected to provide energy sector technical support and serve as coordinator and champion for project activities being led by other divisions of our project team focused on utility performance improvement, integration with the East Africa Power Pool (EAPP), planning, and legal/regulatory reform. Key to success in this role requires high level government institution connections and support, enabling this advisor to interact continuously with Tanzanian ministries, energy regulator, TANESCO, and ZECO. The technical lead will support training/capacity building activities, ensuring Tanzanian energy sector officials benefit from services offered under this program, and that Tanzanian priorities are effectively communicated to our project team for integration in our program plans. The incumbent should have a proven track record of leadership and the ability to navigate complex political environments as this position will require working with high-level government officials to reach agreement on sensitive topics.
- Support changes to energy sector planning that brings actual decision-making into alignment with the recently updated and approved master plans
- Support planning of generation and transmission expansion, particularly those infrastructure projects essential to regional integration through the East Africa Power Pool (EAPP).
- Support implementation of the Electricity Sector Industry Reform and Roadmap (ESIRR) and application of the IPP framework
- Support the government in Tanzania in implementation of competitive procurement practice for generation capacity
- Support formation of the Electricity Infrastructure Procurement Coordinator (EIPC)
- Support the government in its dealings with the project developer community
- Provide technical assistance to TANESCO and ZECO as they establish IPP units, build staff capacity to evaluate bids, review project designs, build shadow financial models, and review PPAs. Provide support as they densify their grid connections and facilitate faster, cheaper utility connections
- Strengthen the capacity of the Energy Regulator to develop and establish fair and robust regulatory processes
- Support the Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation in advancing natural gas power generation projects
- Support TANESCO in integrating the Uniform System of Accounts (USoA)
qualification and experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Minimum Master’s degree in economics, engineering,
business management, law or other relevant discipline
- Minimum of 10 years’ of relevant experience in the power
sector with a focus on public policy, sector regulation, utility
turnaround and improvement, and IPPs
- Demonstrated strong connections with the Tanzanian
government energy sector institutions
- Swahili language skills are strongly
- Excellent leadership, coordination, and organizational awareness skills
- Strong oral/written communication skills and
ability to communicate at multiple levels in the organization: and ability to
coordinate activities with officials from host country government, US Government,
NGOs, and other agencies;
- Ability to build effective relationships with
all clients, peers, and stakeholders
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
and ability to work in a team-oriented setting;
- English language proficiency