USP is a partner on the Cure Tuberculosis in the Kyrgyz Republic program. The goal of the project is to strengthen the Kyrgyz government’s ability to diagnose, treat, and cure people with Drug Resistant – Tuberculosis (DR-TB). USP will support the following objectives:
- Objective 1: Improve TB detection through strengthening TB laboratory system
- Objective 2: Improve TB drug management
USP seeks a TB laboratory systems expert to strengthen the TB laboratory system and ultimately improve TB detection.
Scope of Work:
1.Review and update the national TB Laboratory strategic plan
1.1 In coordination with USP and the National TB Reference Laboratory, collect, compile and extensively review the current TB detection and diagnostics strategic plans and recommend improvements, thereof
1.2 working with the project team and in-country point of contact, identify relevant stakeholders and remotely conduct key informants’ interviews, as inputs to updating the national TB strategic plan
1.3 In collaboration with the project team, National TB Program and stakeholders, conduct SWOT analysis of current challenges and future opportunities – this may be mixed of remote and travel to Kyrgyzstan (when safe to do so) to conduct in-country workshop.
1.4 Using the input from key informants’ interviews and the SWOT analysis, develop draft 5-year TB laboratory strategic plan incorporating stakeholder inputs, new trend TB diagnostics trends, treatment guidelines and care cascade.
1.5 work with USP Project Director and/or designate address comments on the draft strategic plan and finalize for national validation.
2. Review and update TB testing algorithm including Next Generation Sequencing (NGS)
2.1 Collect and compile documents on the current TB treatment and testing guidelines 2.2 Assess TB testing and treatment capacity across all levels of the TB laboratory network
2.3 where necessary work with stakeholder, the NTB Lab and the NTP to update protocol for TB screening, diagnostics, and testing algorithms
2.4 Recommend strategies to implement updated TB testing algorithm, incorporating NGS and other TB screening/detection technologies.
2.5. In partnership with the NTB Lab, conduct training to peripheral laboratory in TB culture and sensitivity and other technologies associated to the update algorithm.
Applicants can be based anywhere with availability for virtual work and short travels to Kyrgyzstan
· Updated national 5-year TB Laboratory Strategic plan
· Updated National TB Testing algorithm
· Medical laboratory or biochemistry and or an advanced degree in public health
· Minimum of 8-10 year of combined experience in laboratory strengthening with at least 5 years in hands-on TB-related laboratory including advanced TB/MDR detection techniques – Culture, Expert/MTB/RIF, LPA, NGS etc.
· Articulate, professional, and able to communicate effectively with key internal and external stakeholders and write lucid technical and trip reports.
· Previous experience in leading country teams and stakeholders in conducts SWOT analysis and for the development of national health sector strategies, including TB diagnostics and screening is preferred
· Experience in leading/conducting stakeholders’ workshops, performing document review, and developing national strategies or testing algorithms.
· Ability to work independently, as well as with cross-cultural and cross-functional teams.
· Willingness to travel to Kyrgyzstan
· Advanced computer competence (e.g., MS Office).
· Fluency in Russian.
· Previous experience working in Central Asia
Period of Performance
February 2021 through August 2022.
Please send CV, 3-References, and Hourly Rate to ATTN: Hana Keno, Senior Procurement Specialist, at GPH_Procurement@USP.org by the closing date of March 14, 2021
When submitting your application, write “TB Laboratory System Expert Consultant -Kyrgyzstan” in the email Subject Line.