USAID/Jordan requires an external mid-term performance evaluation of the USAID/Jordan Beyond Capital Activity, a six year Cooperative Agreement with Hi3, with a total value of $10,000,000 covering the performance period of January 2016-December 2022.
Beyond Capital was created to fill gaps seen in the growth cycle of Jordanian startups. Silicon Badia and Endeavor-Jordan found that Jordanian companies had little support in growing from the seed or accelerator stage to the scale up and series A stages. The key challenges in supporting these entrepreneurial ventures stem from an underdeveloped investment infrastructure, lack of training of fund managers and angel investors, and lack of support and mentorship for entrepreneurs at initial stages of operation. To address each gap, Beyond Capital designed a 3-pillared approach consisting of Startup Support, Angel Investor Support, and Finance Entrepreneur Support. As a result of its innovative model, Beyond Capital is helping to build high growth ventures, accelerate job creation, advance and develop the investment ecosystem and encourage increased equity investment in early and growth stage businesses in Jordan.
Jordan MELA is recruiting for a Team Lead/Business Consultant to lead and support the mid-term evaluation of the Beyond Capitol Activity.
The objective of this evaluation is to provide USAID with findings and strategic recommendations based on the last three years of Beyond Capital implementation (2016 - 2020). The evaluation results will help inform Beyond Capital and the USAID team on the best practices and approaches, lessons learned and any implementation adaptation that needs to be implemented during the remainder of the program to enhance performance. Also, the evaluation results will inform USAID’s design and implementation decisions for similar future programming.
Team Lead / Evaluation Specialist
This role will serve dual functions – Team Lead as well as Technical Specialist.
The team lead should have significant experience conducting project evaluations and/or assessments, as well as private sector (business management, financial and/or investment analyst, banking, venture capital) expertise.
Roles & Responsibilities: The team leader will be responsible for (1) providing team leadership; (2) managing the team’s activities, (3) ensuring that all deliverables are met in a timely manner, (4) serving as a liaison between the USAID and the evaluation/assessment team, and (5) leading briefings and presentations. S/He will be responsible for designing the research methodology, development of data collection instruments, protocols for data collection, data management and analysis. S/He should have experience leading a team in providing technical services to scale ups including marketing, management, finance and strategic planning, risk capital including venture capital and angel investors, creating deal flows for companies, and entrepreneurial ecosystem advising. International travel to Amman, Jordan and potentially other regions of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan may also be required.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in private sector business which includes experience in financial management and business investment activities in developing countries
- An MBA or related graduate degree
- Demonstrated experience leading private sector project/program evaluation/assessments, utilizing both quantitative and qualitative methods
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including experience successfully interacting with host government officials, civil society partners, private businesses, venture capital firms, banks, investment firms, etc.
- Experience in the design and implementation of evaluations and/or assessments
- Strong knowledge, skills, and experience in qualitative and quantitative analytic tools
- Experience implementing and coordinating others to implement surveys, key informant interviews, focus groups, observations and other evaluation and assessment methods that assure reliability and validity of the data.
- Experience in data management
- Able to analyze qualitative and quantitative data
- Demonstrated experience using qualitative evaluation methodologies, and triangulating with quantitative data
- Able to review, interpret and reanalyze as needed existing data pertinent to the evaluation
- Experience working in Jordan is mandatory
- Familiarity with USAID
- Familiarity with USAID policies and practices
- Evaluation policy
- Results frameworks
About the Organization
The Kaizen Company (Kaizen) is a development consulting firm that cultivates innovative, scalable solutions that address emerging market challenges and opportunities. For more than a decade, Kaizen has brought innovation into the world of donor-funded international development in Africa, Central Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America/Caribbean, the Middle East, and Southeast Asia.
In parallel, Kaizen has been incubating innovations to scale through market forces to achieve development objectives without the need for donor funding. Our proven solutions catalyze locally driven organizational and institutional performance improvements and establish communities of practice that facilitate peer-to-peer learning and the achievement of shared goals.
We leverage existing knowledge, technology, and new media, and local peer networks to support local reforms. Since our inception, we have provided support to more than 100 government, private-sector, and non-profit organizations in markets worldwide.