Team Leader, Market Systems Development (MSD/M4P) in Women’s Economic Empowerment (WEE)
With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe for clients such as DFID, DFAT Australia, the World Bank and Global Affairs Canada. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Cowater is recruiting Team Leaders (local or international) for a range of up-coming market development projects in Lao PDR, Vietnam, Cambodia and Indonesia. The positions are expected to be full-time and based in-country for a minimum period of one year, with the possibility of extension.
- Master’s degree (graduate level) in a relevant discipline such as business administration, economic development, social sciences or international development.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience, managing and overseeing multi-year (3+ years), multi-million dollar (+5 million) international development projects;
- Experience in project planning, project implementation, human resources management, project financial management, and project reporting;
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in market systems development / M4P, local economic development, SME/Association/Cooperative development, women’s economic empowerment, etc;
- Experience managing international development projects in the South-East Asia region;
- Experience working with bilateral donors and understanding of donor priorities, preferences and standards;
- Demonstrated experience leading a team in developing countries; and,
- Experience supporting project management & reporting activities, including:
- Liaising with project stakeholders;
- Integrating gender equality, environment, and governance into project activities;
- Providing technical advice related to local and regional economic development;
- Leading project teams; and,
- Managing project risks.
- Professional fluency in English (writing, reading and speaking);
- Exceptional report writing skills in English;
- High level interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to convey concepts clearly, professionally, and concisely;
- Strong leadership and representational skills, with experience working across multiple sectors; and,
- Strong organizational and management skills.
Desired Experience and Skills :
- Experience working in complex operating environments;
- Proficiency in any of the relevant national languages;
- Demonstrated knowledge and application of performance-based management procedures, such as results-based management (RBM); and,
- Recent professional development and/or publications related to Women’s Economic Empowerment, Local Economic Development, Market Systems Development, Markets for the Poor and/or Capacity Development.
- Lead the design and implementation of a market systems development (MSD) program;
- Provide strategic and technical oversight to the program;
- Ensure that program interventions are designed and delivered in line with MSD principles;
- Build capacity of program staff in MSD / M4P and results measurement;
- Conduct market research and value-chain analyses across the program portfolio;
- Design and manage strategic research and business partnerships; and,
- Liaise with stakeholders, clients and corporate partners.
- Ensure the effective coordination and delivery of all activities;
- Manage program resources (human and financial) effectively and efficiently to ensure optimum delivery;
- Provide final quality control/quality assurance of all deliverables;
- Ensure the timely completion of all project deliverables in accordance with annual work plans;
- Ensure and oversee the timely implementation of project work plans and reporting;
- Ensure effective implementation of the project’s monitoring and evaluation systems;
- Supervise, motivate and support team members to ensure their success, resolve conflicts, and replace non-performing team members as required;
- Ensure the timely and effective sourcing of short-term regional and international experts for the delivery of technical assistance and capacity building activities;
- Oversee project procurement activities and ensure their alignment with donor standards and CowaterSogema’s procurement guidelines;
- Liaise closely with CowaterSogema’s HQ Contract Representative to facilitate effective project and personnel management; and,
- Represent CowaterSogema and the program team at program and official events.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.
About the OrganizationCowaterSogema is a global leader in management consulting services, focusing on developing and emerging economies. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. As Canada’s largest international development consulting firm, CowaterSogema has developed a reputation of excellence for our strong ability to work with clients and stakeholders to provide leading-edge solutions and services tailored to the needs and challenges faced by developing and transitional countries. Our firm possesses internationally recognized and award-winning experience at the policy, program and project levels, developing and managing major projects as well as undertaking studies, sector reviews, evaluations, and training and communications activities.
CowaterSogema is a global company with its headquarters in Ottawa, Canada, an office in Montreal, Canada, an office in Pretoria, South Africa (CowaterSogema South Africa) and operations in Paris, France (CowaterSogema Europe). Additionally, the company currently operates project offices worldwide including in Burkina Faso, Mali, Malawi, Cameroon, South Sudan, Mozambique, Zambia, Bangladesh, Vietnam, Indonesia, Jordan, Peru, Honduras, Barbados etc.