Cardno are seeking a Team Leader for the final two years of the UK Aid funded Research for Community Access Partnership (ReCAP), a GBP 28.5m applied research programme.
ReCAP comprises the Africa Community Access Partnership Phase 2 (AfCAP) and the Asia Community Access Partnership (AsCAP), working in 12 countries in Africa and 5 in Asia. ReCAP supports workable, high quality, applied research that will support low income countries (LIC) to design, build and maintain all-season rural roads and promote affordable transport services to poor communities. The focus of the programme is on ensuring that the lessons learned from research are utilised in both policy and practice, through increased and improved uptake, improved knowledge management and through the strengthening of national institutions and expertise. The programme will provide rigorous evidence of the impact of its activities as well as extracting lessons to inform future rural transport sector design, within a structure that ensures Value for Money (VfM) to the Department for International Development (DFID).
The Team Leader is responsible for the overall oversight of the programme, including the technical aspects of the research and uptake component of the programme. The Team Leader for the final two years of the programme will have a strong focus on managing the research programme to completion, liaising with partner governments and Multilateral Development Banks (MDB) to ensure sustainability, uptake and embedment of research findings, and raising the profile of DFID, ReCAP and the associated research outcomes at a global level. As the Team Leader
you will report to the Project Director. The head contract is with London, UK but the role base is negotiable
within the region of the 17 Africa and Asia focus countries.The Role:
- Manage the programme in accordance with best practices for project and funds management and in compliance with DFID’s contractual and fiduciary requirements
- Represent the programme on behalf of Cardno
- Lead and motivate a diverse team of long term and short term experts
- Ensure high quality implementation of timely and accurate reporting of all contractual deliverables
- Oversee ongoing risk analysis and direct corresponding mitigation measures
- Oversee the quality control of research outputs including the peer review process
- Directly manage service providers as required
- Lead the Programme Management Unit (PMU) in strategic planning on technical matters for the development of ReCAP activities through participation in management meetings and Regional Steering Committee Meetings
- Liaise with DFID, the Executive Committee, Steering Committees and Technical Panel on all technical issues related to the programme
- Interact with local, regional and international partners at the strategic level on all technical issues concerned with ReCAP
- Develop links with other transport research programmes and appropriate regional and academic institutions and other development partners active in the rural transport sector
- Proactively raise the profile of DFID and ReCAP in transport at a global level.
Suitable candidates will have the following core experience and competencies:
- Masters Degree in relevant field
- Extensive experience in a Team Leader position, preferably for a DFID funded research programme
- Extensive experience in the Transport Sector, preferably in the Rural Transport Sector
- Experience of research and analysis, policy making, capacity building and programme management activities for sustainable development
- Experience of managing and collating qualitative and quantitative research for high quality reporting
- Demonstrated ability to lead a diverse, geographically disbursed team of experts, including international and national experts, short and long term experts, and a range of research service providers
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with MDBs and other global actors in the transport sector.
In addition, the following capabilities are desirable:
- Ability to influence the global transport agenda, including the Sustainable Mobility for All (SuM4All) initiative, and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG)
- Demonstrated experience of reporting and writing on economic/finance/political issues
- Data processing and statistical skills; ability to interpret and present data in various formats
About the Organization
Cardno is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with specialist expertise in the development and improvement of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Cardno's team includes leading professionals who plan, design, manage and deliver sustainable projects and community programs. Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange [ASX:CDD].
To learn more about us, please visit our website at www.cardno.com/emergingmarkets