Cardno is a professional infrastructure and environmental services company, with expertise in the management, design and contract administration of physical and social infrastructure for communities around the world. Our team includes leading professionals who plan, design, implement and deliver sustainable projects and community programs. Cardno is an international company listed on the Australian Securities Exchange (ASX: CDD) and is quality endorsed in accordance with AS / NZS ISO 9001. Our head office is in Australia, with offices for the Asia Pacific region located in Papua New Guinea, Indonesia and the Philippines.
Cardno has operated in developing countries for over 50 years. We work with government agencies and multilateral organisations throughout the world and employ leading professionals across a range of disciplines to address poverty, economic and social disruption, and institutional strengthening. We have delivered over 700 projects in various sectors across Asia and the Pacific including Solomon Islands, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Myanmar, Indonesia, Fiji, Tonga, Philippines, Timor-Leste, Sri Lanka and Tajikistan. Our development assistance projects extensively include those funded by the ADB, the World Bank, DFAT (Australian Aid), MFAT (New Zealand), UNDP, DFID and USAID.
Cardno is experienced in the delivery of major infrastructure and capacity building projects and employ high calibre staff for projects in the Asia Pacific region and throughout the world. Cardno’s physical infrastructure capabilities in design and delivery have a reputation for quality planning and execution, financially viable feasibility studies and business cases, comprehensive technical and environmental outcomes, and effective project management and construction supervision.
About the Project
The Maritime Waterways Safety Project aims to improve the safety and efficiency of national and international shipping in coastal areas and waterways in Papua New Guinea. The key objectives of the project are:
- Replace, install and maintain navigational aids in Papua New Guinea
- Improve safety information infrastructure including overseeing large scale hydrographic survey, extension of automatic identification system (AIS) and overseeing installation of tide gauges
- Improvement of maritime safety practice of communities
- Efficient project management and capacity development
Key partner of the Maritime Waterways Safety Project (MWSP) is the National Maritime Safety Authority. MWSP is funded under Asian Development Bank Loan.
As the ID PI business grows our team and services in the delivery of infrastructure services, we are seeking a dynamic Team Leader who will lead and will be responsible for the performance of the Maritime and Waterways Safety Project in line with Government of Papua New Guinea’s National Maritime Safety Authority (NMSA) and Asian Development Bank’s priorities. This role will be responsible for overall technical management of the project.
About the role
This exciting and varied Team Leader role will provide you with the career opportunities to manage technical deliverables, project reporting, and contracting and procurement.
Key duties and responsibilities include:
- Lead the team for a quality and effective delivery of the project including regular review of the progress of the program and solve operational and quality issues
- Design and manage the detailed work program for all aspects of the project
- Supervise and conduct the required analyses and consultations and develop recommendations to NMSA
- Maintain and report against project performance monitoring systems
- Supervise preparation of tender documents and working with the Procurement Specialist, oversee tender processes for all contracts for civil works, equipment and consulting services under the project in accordance with ADB’s Procurement Guidelines.
- Work with Procurement Specialist and NMSA in all bidding and contracting stages.
- Administer, implement and monitor international and national contracts for civil works and consulting services under the project.
- Prepare contracts for all civil works and consulting services under the project and monitor contractors’ performance.
- Provide guidance to contractors after contract award to ensure that contractors adhere to required processes for implementation, monitoring and reporting.
- Working with Community and Lands specialist and Environment specialist, ensure HIV/Aids awareness, environmental management and community consultation and grievance resolution provisions are included in civil works contracts
- Coordinate with Environment Specialist/Officer to ensure compliance in environmental safeguards in accordance with national safeguards requirements and ADB safeguard requirements.
- Facilitate capacity development activities for NMSA counterpart
- Undertake related duties as required by the project
- Facilitate coordination and consultation with other projects being undertaken by NMSA, development partners, other government ministries, and the private sector.
- In coordination with the NMSA Project Manager/Navaids Engineer prepare regular progress updates to the Project Steering Committee, as well as monthly and quarterly progress reports to ADB.
- Ensure that the required audits, such as environmental, social, and financial audits, are undertaken and reported, and prepare a project completion report.
Your commitment to safety, the environment and team building is key to our values at Cardno. Your qualifications and experience should include a tertiary degree in civil engineering and at least 10 years’ experience in designing and analysing development projects in general and maritime infrastructure projects.
Your experience should also include:
- Relevant work experience of more than 6 months in Papua New Guinea or other Pacific Countries.
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Demonstrate high level interpersonal and cross cultural skills with the ability to develop and maintain effective relationship with a wide range of stakeholders.
- Demonstrate analytical and conceptual skills to reason through problems and complex issues, anticipate barriers and create practical solutions
- Experienced in delivering donor funded projects in particular Asian Development Bank
How to apply?
We welcome your interest in joining the Cardno team. Should you satisfy the requirements above and looking for a challenging role in which you can make a difference, apply by submitting your resume and cover letter outlining your experience relevant to our requirements.
Applications close at midnight (AEST) on 19 July 2019. Kindly note, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Why join Cardno?
Cardno offers meaningful opportunities for each individual member of our team to grow, make an impact and leave a legacy for local communities, globally.
By joining Cardno, you will be part of an environment where you can collaborate with leading experts from diverse backgrounds, access development programs to achieve your career goals, and be challenged to take a global outlook.
At Cardno, we take care of the people that keep our business, clients and communities thriving. We offer benefits and initiatives to enhance your health and wellbeing, and to help you balance your career and personal life.
Cardno is committed to Child Protection in all fields. Cardno is an equal opportunity employer. Any offer of employment will require criminal record clearance.