Project title: Enhanced EU-GCC Political Dialogue, Cooperation and Outreach
Brief description of the project: The overall objective of the project to contribute to a stronger relationship between the European Union and the GCC countries.
The purpose of this contract is to enhance the political dialogue, cooperation and outreach between EU and the GCC (both regionally as well as with individual countries in the region).
Some of the expected results are:
- Result 1. EU is positioned as a partner of choice in the ongoing national transformation processes of the GCC countries in areas of mutual interest
- Result 2. More effective implementation and monitoring of the Cooperation Arrangements is facilitated
- Result 3. Understanding and perception of the EU by both state and non-state stakeholders in the region is enhanced
- Result 4. Trust and mutual understanding between EU and GCC citizens is strengthened
For the sake of conceptual and implementation clarity, the project will be divided into two inter-related components
- Component 1: Political dialogue and Cooperation (Results 1 and 2)
- Component 2: Public Diplomacy and Outreach1 to promote the Union’s values and interests (Results 3 and 4)
Brief description of the assignment: The Team Leader/ Key expert 1 will facilitate and coordinate the implementation of the project. S/he will also be in charge of directly implementing the activities related to Component 1 of the project.
S/he will be responsible for the overall quality and timelines of the team’s performance and its delivered outputs as well as the reporting (including financial) and direct communication with the Contracting Authority (with the support of the backstopping team).
Therefore, s/he will have to demonstrate the following in the course of the project implementation: excellent interpersonal skills and team-oriented and service-oriented work style; self-motivated, ability to work independently; eye for detail/accuracy, resilience in stressful situation; ability to dialogue with national authorities and institutional structures in Europe and in third countries.
The Team Leader will work at least 70% of her/his time in GCC countries. She/he is expected to travel extensively within the GCC region and within the EU as relevant.
Indicative commencement date of the project: December 1st, 2020
Location: The operational base for the project key experts shall be in an EU country, with frequent travels within the GCC region (Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates (UAE)) and within the EU, according to the work plan prepared during inception and implementation phases.
Duration of the assignment: minimum 500 work days over 36 months
Qualifications and skills:
- Master’s degree or equivalent diploma, or in its absence, a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent diploma in any field, followed by at least 2 years of post-graduate professional experience on top of the general professional experience required below;
- At least a level of C2 in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages in written and oral communication in English;
- At least a level of B2 in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages in written and oral communication in Arabic is an advantage.
General professional experience:
- Minimum 7 years of post-graduate professional experience in the area of project management of which at least 4 years with projects relating to cooperation between the EU and third countries.
Specific professional experience:
- At least 3 years of post-graduate professional experience as coordinator/ team leader of international (outside the EU) political cooperation projects;
- At least 4 years of work experience in the field of EU affairs, the functioning and the diverse policy areas of the European Union;
- Understanding and familiarity with gender sensitive approaches/ gender mainstreaming (as demonstrated by participation in at least 2 relevant projects is an advantage;
- Professional experience working with/ in the GCC countries is an advantage;
- Professional experience working on issues related to public diplomacy is an advantage.