Team Leader/Community Development Specialist (m/f) - Support to Coordination of EU funded interventions in Borno State/Nigeria
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organisation’s business area - GIZ International Services - is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services is shortlisted for the EU funded project “Support to Coordination of EU funded interventions in Borno State, Nigeria”.
The overall objective of the new (11th EDF) EU Support for Response, Recovery and Resilience in Borno State (total amount of EUR 143 million) is as follows: “Building the resilience of conflict affected people and public sector institutions in Borno State in an environment-friendly way”.
The purposesare as follows:
- To provide project management support to the EU Delegation in Abuja ensuring a coordinated and efficient implementation, monitoring and evaluation of EU funded actions in Borno State.
- To provide overall technical advice and support to Borno State Government, in particular the Borno State Ministry of Reconstruction Rehabilitation and Resettlement (Triple R Ministry), contributing to a better coordinated, targeted, managed and monitored response to the crisis.
- To participate in local coordination with humanitarian and development partners and State and Federal authorities and to liaise with all actors directly or indirectly involved in EU funded actions in Borno State, including EU Trust Fund actions.
Qualification and skills
- The Team Leader must possess a Master degree in Development Studies, Management, International Relations, Economics or equivalent qualification in a relevant field of study.
- Demonstrated/documented experience in the use of the Internet, Microsoft Office Suite or comparable software for word processing, spread sheet, presentation tools, etc. is required.
General professional experience
- A minimum of three (3) years of practical experience in community development or related fields.
- Demonstrated/documented experience in the area of service delivery in challenged operating environments.
- Demonstrated/documented experience with participatory approaches, which engage primary stakeholders fully throughout the project cycle process, is preferred.
- Demonstrated/documented experience in the Hausa-speaking Northern Nigeria would be an advantage.
Specific professional experience
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in the management of externally funded projects is required in developing countries.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in the last ten (10) years in the direct implementation of projects financed by the European Union or international donor partners is required. Experience in the preparation and implementation of tender dossiers within this context is required.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ relevant work experience in an English-speaking environment in the last ten (10) years is required if English is not the mother tongue.
- Fluency (speak, read) in Hausa is required, while fluency in Kanuri would be considered an advantage.
- Demonstrated/documented experience in monitoring the sustainability of programme activities and evaluate overall progress on achievement of results.
Please note that we basically can only receive and process applications sent via our e-recruiting system. Should you not be able to do so, please contact the person named in the job advertisement.
To enable us to assess your existing skills and qualifications as part of our internal selection procedure, please complete the questionnaire on your competences when you apply online.
After submitting an application, please check your spam/junk folder regularly for incoming messages, as emails from our e-recruiting system are treated as spam by some providers.
GIZ would like to improve the share of disabled employees, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in EU format in english.
To apply, please make use of our online - application facility under: