SUMMARY OF POSITION
CowaterSogema is excited to announce the opening of a Team Leader position for the upcoming Decentralisation for Development (D4D) in Zambia III module of the Decentralisation and Local Governance programme in Zambia. The objective of the project is to improve service delivery and political participation at the local level. The objective of module III is to support national and local authorities as they implement the decentralisation process, especially fiscal decentralisation, in a more efficient, transparent, coordinated, citizen-oriented and pro-poor manner.
The Team Leader will be based in Lusaka, overseeing the overall planning management and implementation of the project and ensuring effective cooperation and coordination with The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit GmbH (GiZ) and all other stakeholders of the project.
The Team Leader will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Contributing to the management of D4D III and the achievement of its envisaged results and indicators;
- Providing advisory services to the Ministry of Local Government (MLG), particularly the Department for Local Government Administration (DLGA), the provincial planning structures, the selected local authorities, the Local Government Association of Zambia (LGAZ), the Decentralisation Secretariat (DS) and its steering structures, the DPIC (Decentralisation Policy Implementation Committee) and other stakeholders as identified by the project.
- Providing technical advice and facilitation in regard to Zambia’s Intergovernmental Fiscal Architecture, Generation and administration of Local Government revenue, Integrated Development Planning, and improving the delivery accountability of local public services with a focus on extending water and sanitation supply in periurban and rural areas.
- Carrying out checks on the use of funds and financial planning in consultation with the officer responsible for the commission at GIZ.
- Preparing regular reports.
- Steering and overseeing the other local long-term advisors under contract with CowaterSogema.
- Supporting the officer responsible for the commission in updating and/or adapting the project design on the basis of the five success factors of Capacity WORKS.
- Supporting the officer responsible for the commission in preparing the follow-on phase, if relevant.
- Ensuring the connectivity of the programme management with established GIZ practice by applying Capacity WORKS.
- Identifying the need for short-term assignments within the available budget, planning and steering the assignments, and supporting the local and international short-term experts.
- Helping to place orders with local experts.
- Coordinate the implementation of project outputs including project administration, training, monitoring and documenting progress, supporting the officer responsible for the commission in preparing and adapting the plan of operations, and planning and supporting project-related research.
- Master’s degree in Local Government Finance, Public Administration, Political Sciences, Planning or any other relevant field
- Minimum of 10 years experience in working in the public sector on issues of public finance, public policy, decentralization, planning or basic public services.
- Regional experience in Southern Africa.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills (speaking, writing and oral) in English;
- Effectively works in a team environment consisting of diverse skills sets and work styles;
- Capacity to think and work politically, building strategic relationships and identify creative ways to address challenges and issues and respond to opportunities;
- Excellent stakeholder management and relationship building skills;
- Good workshop and meeting facilitation skills in English language.
- Client and partner orientation, efficient work practices, interdisciplinary thinking and office experience are mandatory.
- Prior training in GiZ’s Capacity WORKS management model or undergo training by a GIZ-accredited multiplier before the commencement of the project
- Professional experience with local governments in Zambia would be an advantage;
- Familiarity with the processes of German Development Cooperation, its modules and
if possible with GIZ programming and management approaches
- German language skills would be an advantage.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.
About the Organization
With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe for clients such as DFID, DFAT Australia, the World Bank and Global Affairs Canada. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.