About the role
Crown Agents is recruiting a Team Leader - Senior Governance Advisor to lead a team of Consultants and Technical Advisors for an upcoming proposal: Supporting sub-national governance and decentralisation for greater stability in Libya.
The Team Leader will work directly with the Ministry of Local Government (MoLG) to support implementation of the government’s emerging local government and decentralisation agenda. The work is interesting and varied and will include support for capacity development on legal and institutional reforms, drafting any required secondary legislation, and support to improve coordination and communication at both the centre (between relevant line ministries) to improve cooperation and delivery locally, as well as vertically, between the centre and with municipalities across Libya on areas highlighted in the objectives, which are to:
- strengthen the capability of the Executive at central and municipal levels to implement the emerging local government decentralisation agenda in Libya;
- rebuild working relationships between the MoLG and local municipalities, and with central line ministries to strengthen governance and service delivery arrangements at the municipal level;
- ensure sub-national government services are more responsive to peoples’ needs, through the incorporation of reconciliation and peacebuilding approaches into local development planning, and by ensuring the needs of women and youth are better understood and their participation is increased.
Location and duration
The position will be based in Tunisia with trips to Libya as required.
The programme will run for 3 years (36 months) in total and is expected to start in September 2018.
Crown Agents welcomes applications from consultants who have experience of implementing decentralisation programmes, steering activity towards the end goal and who meet the following criteria:
- Experience of working at a senior or leadership level on three prior projects on de-centralisation and sub-national government level reform
- Experience working with central government and high-level officials and/or working with senior local level administration or similar
- Experience of working in MENA context, particularly post-2011 Arab Spring uprisings.
- Experience of working on donor funded governmental change programmes in FCAS contexts
- Working Arabic (native Arabic speaker preferred)
- Relevant postgraduate degree (MPA or similar) – desirable but not required
- Experience of working on CSSF programmes, or other HMG projects – desirable but not required
- Willing to deploy to Libya
About the Organization
You’ll be working with Crown Agents. We work with leaders to accelerate self-sufficiency and prosperity. We offer supply chain, fund management, programme design, management and evaluation, training, institutional efficiency and revenue generation expertise. We do this across health, humanitarian, stabilisation, governance and public administration, prosperity and renewable energy. We are a registered social enterprise, 100% owned by the Crown Agents Foundation.
Our humanitarian and stabilisation team have a track record of delivering benefits for governments and their people in some of the most challenging operating environments in the world. We provide a holistic package of support to governments managing protracted crises including rapid response, public financial management, basic service delivery, end-to-end supply chain solutions and training.