Contract Award and Supervision
The USAID/Egypt Mission has contracted The QED Group LLC to implement the Services to Improve Performance Management, Enhance Learning and Evaluation (SIMPLE). SIMPLE provides a host of services to support USAID/Egypt’s Program and Technical Offices in areas including monitoring, evaluation, program design, and information management. These services include activity/project designs, assessments, evaluations, management information and reporting. The primary purpose of this award is to improve performance management at all levels to help the Mission meet Agency requirements, make better informed strategic and management decisions, and advance Agency learning.
In this context, SIMPLE is seeking to engage the services of a senior international or national consultant experienced in value chain assessment to serve as team leader for an assessment of the fisheries value chain in the North Sinai areas of Al Arish and Lake Bardoweel. This assignment is contingent on task order award. The period of performance is expected from November to January 2020, with an estimated LOE of up to 90 days for the Team Leader.
The purpose of this assessment is to assess the Northern Sinai fisheries value chain, specifically to:
- Assess the current status of the artisanal fishery sector in North Sinai in terms of production, processing, wholesale markets, distribution channels, and local consumption in domestic and export markets. Specific data points needed include:
- Current capture numbers for Lake Bardoweel and El-Arish
- Identify the key market actors, and their costs, margins, and profits.
- Identify the existing domestic and international market channels
- Overview of current fishing methods and practices and identify capacity building opportunities.
- Identify the current supporting infrastructure and identify priority investments
- Assess the constraints and potential of the fishery sector as a source of income and employment generation for Bedouins in North Sinai, especially women and youth. This should include constraints and potential for wild capture fishing and fish farming.
The QED Group is seeking to contract a senior Team Leader to lead this assessment. The total length of the consulting contract is expected to be three months on a 6-day week work schedule, some of which will be research and analysis conducted remotely. Selected interviews in Cairo, Ismailia, Port-Said and possible travel to North Sinai for data collection (in the case of a local Team Leader).
The Team Leader will report to the locally-based SIMPLE Senior M&E Specialist or his delegate. The Team Leader will collaborate in refining the agreed upon methods, design of database for the desk review, interview and group discussion (GD) instruments, which might be conducted face to face or over the phone., in addition to the overall research analysis approach. He/she will manage a team of consultants cooperating on this task.
All evaluation products will be subject to the technical review and clearance of QED and SIMPLE staff prior to sharing with USAID for their review and feedback. Final approval of deliverables rests with USAID/Egypt, in this case the Office of Economic Growth.
- Lead the assessment team and work with them to:
- Finalize the design for this research effort, in collaboration with the SIMPLE team once the task order is awarded
- Conduct research and compile documentation for the desk review
- Design, develop, and test all data collection tools such as interview protocols and GD instrument and clear them for field use after approvals from USAID through QED
- Oversee the data collection throughout North Sinai and Cairo
- Supervise, manage and task a team of local consultants (expected two consultants) supporting the Team Leader in carrying out this task.
- Draft the final assessment report and support the development of infographics or other deliverables as needed.
- Master’s degree in economics, aquaculture, social science, international development, or related area. PhD a plus.
- Over 10 years of relevant professional experience, with specific expertise in value chain assessment required with expertise in fisheries desired.
- Proven Team Leader experience, including leading team in research and data collection efforts.
- Demonstrated experience preparing final reports required; experience with USAID requirements preferred.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively remotely and within a multi-cultural team.
- Ability to be flexible and work well under pressure, dealing with competing priorities, in a fast-paced team environment.
- Experience working with and conducting research in the economic growth sector; experience with similar USAID-funded assignments preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and talent for productively interacting with a wide range of actors.
- Fluent in spoken and written English.
- Work experience in Egypt and/or North Sinai a plus.
About the Organization
The QED Group, LLC, is a full-service international consulting firm committed to solving complex global challenges through innovative solutions. We are determined to provide all our clients with best-value services so they increase their efficiency, learning capacity, and accountability to the public in an ever more complex and interconnected world. Through Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning and Knowledge Management practice areas, QED is working to maximize our clients' return on investment through accountability, continuous learning, and sound management.
To know more about our organization, you can visit our website, www.qedgroupllc.com