Based on the ASAL Strategic Programming Framework and relevant County Development Plans, the proposed “Drought Resilience Programme in Northern Kenya (DRPNK)” under Kenyan‐German Development Cooperation shall strengthen drought resilience and adaptation to climate change in particularly vulnerable arid areas of Northern Kenya as part of a multi‐sectoral approach, funding climate‐proof county and possibly community infrastructure. DRPNK has the potential to strengthen the drought resilience and climate change adaptive capacities – and herewith the food security – of the pastoral and agro‐pastoral livelihoods and communities in selected areas (“clusters”) of Turkana and Marsabit County on a sustainable basis by expanding and rehabilitating relevant infrastructure.
GFA has been working in drought resilience in the horn of Africa for many years. For this particular assignment, GFA has prepared the Feasibility Study in 2015. The specific activities identified in this programme comprise the following fields:
• Water infrastructure: water harvesting and storage; water supply and sanitation; irrigation;
• Infrastructure for livestock: animal health; rangelands and fodder production; livestock marketing;
• Other socio‐economic infrastructure: transportation; rural market facilities; education; health.
In addition, GFA is also implementing components of the technical cooperation programme on Drought Resilience in Northern Kenya (GIZ).
Duration of Assignment: 6 years
Project Status: Pre-Qualification
Start of Projects: January 2019
We are now looking for a team leader for this KfW financed project
Major Tasks of the expert are to:
- support local government structures in Turkana and Marsabit as the Project Executing Agencies (PEA) in project implementation and management;
- provide technical support for the project implementation with regards to water harvesting, irrigation, water resource management, rangeland management, livestock development, road and market infrastructure;
- prepare ToRs and execute tenders;
- supervise contracts for construction services;
- support the financial management of the project, including the management of a disposition fund;
- plan, manage and monitor the project, including the management of short and long term experts;
- actively participate in the overall program development, management and steering;
- coordinate with partners and stakeholders;
- manage a multidisciplinary team of international and national long term experts; and
Qualification and Profil:
- University degree in agriculture, civil (irrigation) engineering, water / natural resource management, ecology, animal husbandry, geography or similar.
- Experience with the implementation of international financial cooperation projects, experience with KfW funded projects considered an asset
- Participatory planning of resource management in rural areas
- Work experience in pastoral and/or agro-pastoral societies in Arid and Semi-Arid Lands (ASAL)
- Agriculture (including small-scale irrigation) and rural development
- Natural resource management
- Drought resilience and climate adaptation measures
- Fodder production, transformation and storage
- Rangeland management and bush encroachment
- Kenya or East Africa, work experience in Northern Kenya is considered an asset.
- Excellent oral and written English language skills.
Please send your application to Ms Regine Reuter by e-mail: Reuter@gfa-group.de
Please note, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding