SUMMARY OF THE PROJECT
Cowater International is preparing for an upcoming opportunity focusing on supporting land reform in Africa. The Programme aims to support governments and other actors in Africa develop the basic building blocks of a fit-for-purpose central land governance system and more efficient, fair and transparent land investment approval processes. The Decision Support Unit will provide advisory services to help the client and delivery partners make evidence-based, outcome-oriented and VFM-driven decisions throughout implementation.
The Programme is expected to start in 2021 for a period of 6 years.
SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
The Team Leader will lead overall implementation of the Programme. He/She will be responsible for representing the programme, building and maintaining strong working relationships with the client and relevant stakeholders, including government counterparts. The Team Leader will provide management and leadership of the core team, and responsible for the effective delivery, on time and within budget.
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Proactively build and maintain positive, productive working relationships with client, and key programme stakeholders, including relevant government counterparts.
- Provide strategic direction to the programme and drive the overall implementation, ensuring a politically informed approach is embedded.
- Proactively seek to share knowledge with, coordinate programme inputs and learn from other interested stakeholders.
- Day-to-day management of the programme, including technical and financial decision-making.
- Lead the development and implementation of the programme’s approach to monitoring, learning and knowledge management, ensuring a politically informed approach is embedded.
- Team management and mentoring, supporting and challenging the core team to achieve optimal performance.
- Management of the wider team including short-term technical assistance pool of experts.
- Effective financial management and reporting, ensuring value for money.
- Ensure compliance with safeguarding, security, and other policies.
- Regular reporting to Cowater Project Director, as well as fulfilment of contractual reporting to the client.
- Professional Qualification in Economics, Environmental Management, Public Policy or related degree
- At least 10 years’ experience managing international teams, leading donor-funded programs (experience managing FCDO programs a clear asset)
- Sectoral expertise preferred (political economy, land governance)
- Experience managing and running process evaluations alongside implementation, and ideally including land or natural resource management
- A strong understanding of the African’s public sector and political economy
- Strong track record in research, learning and monitoring
- Dedicated capacity to undertake continuous political economy analysis to inform the team’s work, and capacity to design and apply a conflict- and gender-sensitive approach to delivery
- Exceptional leadership, management and communication skills, including proven ability to build and manage relationships with senior members of government and donors
- Exceptional leadership, management and communication skills, including proven ability to manage relationships with senior members of government and client
- Solid understanding of land governance and reform in Africa and Asia
- Excellent communication skills in English (speaking and writing), French would be an asset
Candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
For your application to be considered, please upload your documents as followed: Candidate Last Name, First Name, date, Title of the Position.
We thank all applicants, however only those shortlisted will be contacted.
About the Organization
With more than 35 years’ experience, Cowater International is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development and has managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, financial and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017, 2018 and 2019. Headquartered in Ottawa, Canada, Cowater International also has corporate offices in Montreal, Quebec; London, United Kingdom; Nairobi, Kenya; and Brussels, Belgium, in addition to project offices in a wide variety of other locations across Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with Cowater International.