As Ghana progresses into becoming a middle-income country, DFID is changing the way it supports the Ghanaian health system. To continue this support, DFID will be funding a programme to provide technical assistance to the Ghana Health Service (GHS) and teh Ministry of Health (MoH), to improve health governmance and leadership, as well as strengtehning health financing arrangements. The programme will also have an element of service provision, which will focus on providing mental health services, as well as behaviour change communication to reduce stigma around mental health in Ghana.
The Team Leader will provide leadership to the GHSS Programme Delivery Team (PDT) based in Accra. The role will require working closely with the Government of Ghana, GHS programme partners and other key stakeholders across the health sector to provide technical support as needed. The Team leader must be mission driven and committed to making a distinctive impact serving the GHSS programme and Abt Associates.
- Set up a programme in Accra to allow continuous engagement between stakeholders and suppliers in support of GHSS
- Lead a multidisciplinary and high performing team to provide technical assistance in a collaborative manner
- Manage team performance across the programme
- Building trust-based relationships with senior MoH, GHS, and voluntary sector partners
- Advance the impact and reputation of Abt Associates and its partners throughout Ghana and beyond through thought leadership and other activities
- Promote equality and inclusion for all
- Managing variety of programme risks, including fiduciary
- Proven management expertise, in particular in building a multi-disciplinary team and putting systems in place to deliver technical assistance across multiple fields
- Expertise of managing team performance, particularly with proven track record of developing high performance within project teams
- Proven leadership capabilities and experience enabling positive change within an organisation
- Proven capability to collaborate, partner and influence wide ranging stakeholders at senior level, including governments, UN agencies, NGOs and other private sector partners (including other delivery agents of technical assistance)
- Proven expertise in convening and building trust with partners, in particular government counterparts, including Ministers
- Leadership and expertise in delivering capacity building, including systems, individuals and organisations
- Knowledge and expertise of shock responsive government systems
- Experience in Ghana required
- Experience working with DFID and/or other donors desirable
- Experience managing adaptive and flexible donor-funded programmes desirable
Further information & Application Details
Further information regarding this opportunity can found in the Terms of Reference in the ‘More Information’ section of this page.
Applications close: 31 January 2019 - midnight (AEST)
Applications should be submitted online via the Careers page of Abt Associate’s website, and should include a current CV, cover letter and a response to the key requirements as outlined in the Terms of Reference.
We are looking for candidates who ideally are Ghanaian, have the right to reside, or reside in Ghana.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage applications from experienced and capable women.
We welcome and thank all applications however only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a recognised leader in the international development sector. Working with our many partners, Abt Associates implements bold innovative solutions to improve the lives of the community and deliver valued outcomes for our clients. We provide a comprehensive range of services from policy to service delivery in the public and private sectors contributing to long term benefits for clients and communities. Operating in remote and challenging environments, we offer innovative solutions, extensive experience in the region, strong technical capacity, and a proven project management track record. We are committed to gender equity in our employment strategies and encourage applications from capable women. Abt Associates is a child safe organisation and promotes the safety, wellbeing and inclusion of all children.