Team Leader - Ghana Jobs and Economic Transformation Programme
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Palladium is seeking a Team Leader for a new and exciting upcoming DFID funded programme in Ghana. The programme is DFID Ghana’s flagship investment-led job creation programme that will help Ghana transition away from aid dependence in line with the GoG “Ghana beyond Aid” strategy.
It seeks to leverage increased investments into the manufacturing and industrial sectors, and introduce new technology and management capabilities, increasing the capabilities of the workforce generating formal employment and economic diversification. This will be done through 4 components: 1) industrial policy development; 2) investment promotion and facilitation for investors in four or five target sectors (as defined under the GoG Ten-Point Plan); 3) increasing engagement of domestic firms in sectors attracting investment; and 4) addressing enabling environment gaps around investments.
The Team Leader acts as the central point of leadership for the programme. The Team Leader will be responsible for representing the programme with a range of Ghanaian partners, government stakeholders and external organisations and individuals, including regularly reporting to DFID, and maintaining strong working relationships with relevant local institutions, entities, other donor programmes, the project team as well as with corporate Palladium staff.
The Team Leader will be responsible for:
- Build on and develop strong working relationships with the programme’s contact points in the Ghanaian Government, national agencies, DFID and other donor programmes in the investment and business enabling environment space, and leading on reporting to them, through both formal and informal channels.
- Manage relationships with the Government of Ghana, counterpart agencies, project partners, stakeholders and business partners in Ghana as well as the UK, and represent the programme with the wider DFID country office or an external audience as needed, including with communities of practice and other DFID offices.
- Develop strong working relationships with the leadership of other donor programmes, particularly DFID’s private sector development and investment-led programmes, and exploit complementarities and synergies between JET and them where possible.
- Develop strong working relationships and a regular dialogue on programme progress and challenges with relevant Palladium staff, including the Project Director, the Project Management team and Technical support staff.
Strategy and Operational Planning
- Maintain a strong working relationship with the Project Director and reach a consensus on JET’s overarching, as well as component specific, technical approach and direction.
- Lead with the Project Director in the preparation of work plans and budgets; staffing plans; performance improvement plans and other plans as required.
- Provide guidance, oversight and quality assurance for all project activities, outputs and deliverables;
- Assume overall responsibility for the effective implementation of work plans to ensure delivery is on time, within budget, meets client and stakeholder expectations and is contractually compliant;
- Monitor implementation progress; maintain up to date project logs and registers; work to resolve issues, manages and mitigates risks; and escalate material issues and risks as appropriate;
- Develop and implement plans for results measurement, monitoring and evaluation, knowledge management, value for money analysis and communication management;
- Ensure good staff management practices including staff planning, recruitment, on-boarding, appraisal and development.
Financial Management and Administration
- Ensure consistent implementation of company Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and Guidelines, Security Protocols and, where applicable, recommends modifications;
- Ensure the project provides and demonstrates good Value for Money;
- Oversee the preparation and delivery to the client of budget variations and contract amendments.
- Substantial experience in managing complex interventions, preferably in an investment-led environment and in the Ghanaian context
- Experience working with key government departments and institutions involved in investment promotion and industrial policy
- Experience in supporting private sector development and industrial policy, preferably in Ghana
- Very good understanding of governance, public administration and key private sector players in Ghana and ability
- Strong expertise in building and managing programmatic relationships with high level stakeholders from government, civil society and donors
- Ability to access and engage with the highest ministerial levels in Ghana
- Ability to liaise with HMG in Ghana
- Experience working with donor (preferably DFID) funded programmes
- Understanding of local financing and development issues and familiarity with development impact indicators
- Strong expertise in leading complex programmes, including managing and mentoring senior members of staff
- Strong experience in managing complex teams
Ghanaian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply