Team Leader - Health Systems Improvement, Congo
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role:
Please submit CV in English language.
Palladium is seeking a Team Leader for a DFID health programme in the DRC called Programme d’Amelioration de la Qualite des soins de Santé (PAQS) (Improving Quality of Health Care in DRC programme).
The programme will continue DFID’s investments in the region and focus on reducing maternal and under-five mortality. It aims to achieve these impacts through a stronger public health system which is able to deliver quality maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health services, contributing to improved human capital, reduction in stunting rate, reduction of fertility rate and poverty reduction.
PAQS will increase access and uptake of essential health, family planning and nutrition services (provide continuum of care), an increase in modern contraceptive prevalence rate, and health systems strengthening including emergency preparedness, capacity building of health workers, strengthening supply chain management system, governance and financial management, health information systems and infrastructure support.
PAQS will be delivered in the provinces of South Ubangi, North Ubangi and Kasai and provide support at the federal level.
Location: Kinshasa (with travel), Democratic Republic of Congo
Reporting to: Project Director (Based in the UK)
Duration: 5 years, full-time
The Team Leader will be responsible for overall leadership and management of all aspects of the project, including overseeing the technical, financial, and administrative matters to achieve the project’s objectives and ensure successful delivery of the programme. The Team Leader will:
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with host government at the national, provincial and district levels and local partners.
- Take the overall responsibility for ensuring the delivery and quality of the project deliverables, results and milestones.
- Represent Palladium to the client and other donor groups, ministries, sub-national government at provincial and district levels, community organisations, and other key stakeholders.
- Provide guidance, oversight and quality assurance for all project activities, outputs and deliverables.
- Develop and implement plans for results measurement, monitoring and evaluation, knowledge management, value for money analysis and communication management.
- Lead on maintaining programme’s awareness of DFID policies and procedures and ensure the programme complies - especially to areas such as safeguarding policies, disabilities, social exclusion, gender, and environment;
- Direct and coordinate the programme team to ensure achievement of programme objectives and milestones;
- Visit project offices and sites where necessary.
- Educated to university degree level or above, preferably holding a Master’s degree and/or a M.D qualification; lack of academic background can be compensated by experience.
- Extensive experience in leading integrated health and/or primary healthcare programmes in the DRC and more specifically, in Kasai, South Ubangi and North Ubangi.
- Areas of experience and expertise encouraged include: Health Systems Strengthening, Service Delivery, and Health Governance and Financing (MNCAH and Family Planning).
- Strong pre-existing relationships with the DRC Ministry of Health and relevant health stakeholders in the target provinces.
- Expertise in building and managing programmatic relationships with high level stakeholders from government, civil society and donors involved in the DRC health space.
- Experience working with donors on health programmes in a management role.
- Strong expertise in a management role in complex, large programmes, including managing and mentoring senior members of staff, with some experience doing so in the DRC or in conflict-afflicted regions.
- Good understanding of governance and public administration in the DRC.
- Strong experience in managing complex teams.
- Fluency in French and English.
Congolese nationals are strongly encouraged to apply