Improving Market Systems in Agriculture for Rwanda (IMSAR) is a 4-year programme that aims to increase the income of poor households operating in targeted agricultural markets through adopting a market systems approach to attract investment and stimulate inclusive growth. IMSAR is a GBP £13.5M programme funded by the UK government through the Department for International Development (DFID) and implemented by Palladium International. The programme uses a combination of market development services, technical assistance and a short to medium term grants finance facility to design and implement innovative approaches to increasing incomes of the rural poor and catalysing inclusive growth.
Palladium seeks to recruit a vibrant and experienced market systems development specialist to provide technical leadership, guidance and oversight in the design, implementation, and management of market systems development interventions in the targeted agricultural markets. S/he is accountable for the successful implementation of market development activities through the effective leadership and management of technical/implementation staff. The Team Leader position will be integral to achieving IMSAR’s targets.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
* Lead the overall leadership of the programme as part of the management team
* Providing technical leadership and guidance to the team to ensure the ongoing professional development of implementation staff, particularly in relation to business consulting skills, deal-making and the application of the market systems development approach
Market development and implementation
* Guide the development and review of market level strategies
* Support in identifying potential new opportunities and drive forward innovative ideas
* Guide intervention conceptualisation, design, adaptation, and scale-up in response to changing market realities
* Effectively oversee the delivery of implementation activities in line with market/intervention strategies and results chains as well as programme strategy and milestones, both technical and financial
* Provide technical guidance to implementation staff to ensure results are achieved
* Lead the preparation of the annual strategic plans; technical and operational work plans and budgets; staffing plans; performance management and other planning activities as required
* Monitor implementation progress; work to resolve issues, manage and mitigate risk; and escalates material issues and risks as appropriate
Performance Management, Training & Mentoring
* Lead, manage, motivate and train programme staff to follow a thorough market systems analysis and the consistent application of the market systems development approach
* Contribute to training needs assessment of the team, developing and implementing performance improvement plans and on-the-job-training where appropriate
Monitoring, Evidence & Learning and reporting
* Use the programme’s Monitoring and Result Measurement data to guide the review of programme progress and inform strategy adaptation
* Provide timely and accurate reporting on market development activities, based on evidence of IMSAR’s impact which also promotes learning across the Team and with wider stakeholders
* Lead the regular progress reporting to the client and contribute to programme’s communications and learning outputs
* Liaise closely with the IMSAR Technical Director to identify lessons and programme thought-leadership subjects to allow IMSAR to position itself at the forefront of MSD learning
* Develop and manage effective working relationships with key stakeholders; participate in multi-stakeholder platforms (including other donor’s funded initiatives) on programme’s strategic approach, focus, achievements, and lessons
* Take a leadership role in MSD approach within the broader Rwandan market where we articulate the MSD approach with the aim of better coordinating with other donor funded projects and raising awareness of IMSAR’s approach in Rwanda
* Relevant academic qualifications in a related field
* Extensive professional experience in private sector development and agriculture development
* Extensive experience managing market systems development programmes, including direct experience in implementation
* Strong understanding of market systems frameworks and facilitation strategies and in-depth knowledge of market system dynamics and designing market system intervention strategies
* Strong leadership experience with proven experience in a senior role in the private sector or market development programmes
* Proven ability to work with and motivate private- and public-sector actors
* Strong team management experience, and ability to provide supervision and coaching in market systems development skills;
* Demonstrated experience managing various stakeholders
* Ability to deliver programmes on time, target and on budget
* Excellent writing skills in English
* Experience working on DFID funded programmes
* (Desirable) Knowledge of Kinyarwanda
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact – the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved – and is committed to continuing to improve – economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, colour, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.