Project title: EU Support for Climate Action in IPA II Beneficiaries - Transition Towards the Low Emissions and Climate-resilient Economy
Brief description: The action is to continue support to the implementation of the 2015 Paris Agreement on Climate Change in the Western Balkans and Turkey and help their transition towards the low emissions and climate-resilient economy. Almost all IPA II beneficiaries have ratified the Agreement and are planning for the implementation of their contributions to it.
Subsequently, the action will support the Beneficiaries’ efforts, which have already started through a previous bridging IPA II Multi-country Programme 2016 action – Technical assistance towards implementation of the new Paris Climate Agreement and continuing climate actions carried out through the multi-annual Environment and Climate Regional Accession Network (ECRAN) project (2013-2016).
The technical assistance will be of paramount importance in supporting climate policy and legislative development across sectors, especially the work on the integrated climate and energy action plans as well as an increased climate mainstreaming that will allow IPA II beneficiaries to fulfil their international and the EU acquis requirements.
Commencement date of the project: August 2020 (tentatively)
Duration of the assignment: 400 working days over 36 months
Qualifications and skills
- As a minimum, a relevant university degree, preferably with an MSc, or equivalent, in law, environmental sciences or international relations or European integration or another related field;
- Excellent fluency in written and spoken English; required ability to travel to beneficiaries s; knowledge of one of the languages of the beneficiaries will be an asset;
- As a minimum high quality analytical and document drafting skills, which can be demonstrated by reference to a recent (the previous 2 years) report that he/she has authored.
General professional experience
- Demonstrable capacity to efficiently manage a project involving the multiple counterparts/teams, including from the IPA beneficiaries, to be proven by experience with at least one, and preferably more projects, involving a team of at least 3-5 members, within the past 5 years;
- At least 10 years of relevant professional experience, out of which at least 5 years of relevant experience in the Western Balkans and Turkey and/or the former Candidate Countries;
- As a minimum two project references in the last 6 years related to the subject matter of the current contract in the Western Balkans beneficiaries and Turkey and/or the former Candidate Countries;
- Demonstrable knowledge and very good understanding of the EU environment and climate acquis and policies and of the EU enlargement process;
- Demonstrable sound knowledge of the political situation in the Western Balkan beneficiaries and Turkey and the European integration process;
- Among candidates fulfilling the above minimum requirements, preference will be given to those who have the most demonstrated experience in multi-national projects relevant to this tender procedure during the previous 5 years.
Specific professional experience
Demonstrable experience in capacity building in the IPA beneficiaries, as regards any of the following (as demonstrated by list of recent projects of this kind, and brief mention of the responsibility in the project):
- Alignment with EU environmental and climate change acquis – institutional and legislative capacity building;
- Developing climate policies and measures;
- Demonstrable experience in leading regional and multi-national projects related to environment and climate change (including experience in coordination of teams of at least 10 experts) of at least 5 years, as well as an understanding of legal and implementation issues, particularly with regard to alignment of the Western Balkans with EU environmental and climate acquis.