Project title: Technical Assistance to Support Carbon Farming
Brief description: The overall objective is to improve the climate resilience of subsistence farmers in Timor-Leste.
The Specific objective of this service contract is to enhance the capacities of the Timor-Leste Secretariat of State for Environment (SSE) and other stakeholders to access the international carbon market as a means to increase the climate resilience of its population, especially subsistence farmers and to improve their income.
The purposes of this project are as follows:
- To support the establishment of a robust land-sector Green House Gas (GHG) reporting and accounting system to measure land-based carbon emissions through operational tools and established legal and governance systems, facilitating and enabling the rewarding of carbon sequestration activities, especially in the forestry sector.
- To establish a pro-active and effective coordination among the multitude of partners and entities that are participating to the carbon market.
Commencement date of the project: January 2021 (indicative)
Duration of the assignment: minimum 600 working days over 36 months, out of which a minimum of 540 working days will have to be based in Dili
Qualifications and skills
- At least a Master’s degree or equivalent in Forestry, Climate Change Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science and Ecological economics or related fields. Alternatively, a Bachelor´s Degree plus 5 years of experience (in addition to the general professional experience – see below) in the aforementioned fields;
- Excellent command of written and spoken English;
- Excellent management and communication skills;
- Excellent skills in drafting reports – in English - as evidenced by 5 previous assignments requiring such deliverables.
General professional experience
- At least 10 years (or 15 in the case where there is no relevant Master´s degree – see above) of proven experience in design and implementation of Forestry, Climate Change Natural Resource Management, Environmental Science and Ecological economics, rural development and social development programmes in developing countries.
- Experience in previous long-term continuous assignments (which may have been interrupted by annual leave or home working days but which include a minimum of 220 working days worked over the whole duration of each assignment) as team leader. The total working days of all assignments under this criterion must add up to at least 1100 working days.
Specific professional experience
- At least 4 years proven experience in forestry, NDC and climate change strategies and/or climate finance;
- Proven experience in managing work plans and budget development and implementation of EU supported programmes as evidenced by at least 2 relevant assignments;
- At least 3 years proven experience in designing and/or implementing programmes in climate change, natural resource management, rural development and/or social development developing countries (see foot-note 17);
- Experience of at least 2 years in participatory management and research fieldwork;
- Relevant work experience in Timor Leste and/or in Pacific or ASEAN country(ies).