** Position to start early June 2018
** Position duration up to 90 days
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Humanitarian needs have emerged inside Libya as a result of armed conflict displacement of civilian populations, and the already weakened state of Libya following political instability after the fall of former president Gaddafi. Armed conflict has impacted all the major towns and cities, with the majority of the population affected to some degree by lack of essential resources.
Mercy Corps is currently implementing humanitarian and early recovery programs in Libya and working on different fund streams to ensure the sustainability of the programs in the coming years.
General Position Summary
The Team Leader Libya position will be held by an innovative and visionary leader. S/he will be responsible for coordinating and managing the coordination of a team conducting different projects in Libya, and managing a team in Tunisia and in Libya. S/he will be responsible for ensuring coherence with the strategic direction of the program including management of a small team of technical and operations staff within Tunis and remotely in Libya. S/he will oversee the current projects and future projects that will be added to the MC Libya portfolio. The Team Leader Libya position will be accountable to beneficiaries and donors who place a high value on innovative solutions to development issues and creative partnerships in tough environments.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
- Ensure coherence with the strategy and vision of Mercy Corps Libya and the objectives to reach in the coming years, in coordination with the Regional Team.
- Lead the Mercy Corps Libya to reach the strategic vision;
- Identify and engage with opportunities for innovative and collaborative action
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development.
- Develop and organize activities to secure resources for programs and convince stakeholders to provide support.
- Contribute to fundraising efforts: ensure continuity with current fundraising efforts and explore new areas and draw recommendations of expansion for potential funding partnerships;
- Participate to relevant external meetings taking place in Tunis (and potentially in Libya);
- Ensure that team cohesion is maintained and foster a culture of inclusion across the entire team, including Tunisia and Libya based staffs, together with the Deputy Team Leader based in Tripoli;
- Maintain and sustain a work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence.
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews.
- Hire, orient and supervise new team members as necessary.
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives.
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
- Promote Mercy Corps culture within the team.
Together with the Deputy Team Leader:
- Ensure that the pace of implementation remains adapted and accountable to donors’ requirements and beneficiaries’ needs;
- Ensure quality implementation of all the programs that will be part of the Libya portfolio.
- Ensure that implementation is responsive to communities and partners and consistent with Mercy Corps’ relevant program guidelines, principles, values, quality standards and strategic plan.
- Ensure program implementation is on time, target and budget, using effective M&E systems to evaluate progress towards desired impacts.
- Maintain and strengthen systems ensuring effective and transparent use of financial resources for timely and informative reporting in line with donor and Mercy Corps policies and procedures.
- Fulfil Mercy Corps Program Management Minimum Standards based on the organization-wide guide;
PROGRAM SUPPORTS OPERATIONS, FINANCE AND COMPLIANCE
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to emergency programming.
- Strengthen and/or maintain operational systems that ensure proper administrative support for programs.
- Draft and/or review scope of work to hire and manage any technical consultants, including review for technical efficacy and contract budget.
REPRESENTATION, COORDINATION AND FUNDRAISING
- Maintain, manage and/or create collaborative partnerships with partner agencies, sub-grantees, donors, local governments and other stakeholders.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Represent Mercy Corps programs with national and international media and participate in community activities as appropriate.
- When necessary, lead the development proposals and support the expansion of the Libya program by identifying new opportunities, partnering with donors.
· Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership.
· Proactively ensure that team members operate in a secure environment and are aware of policies.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Senior Management team composed of 5 -7 team members;
Reports Directly To: Deputy Regional Director
Works Directly With: Regional Program Team and additional headquarters-based support departments as needed;
Knowledge and Experience
- Master’s degree in relevant field required;
- Previous experience with Mercy Corps is an asset.
- 4-7 years of field experience in international relief and development programs, including demonstrable success in remote management of programs and research.
- 3 years of senior-level leadership, capacity building and field management experience.
- Demonstrated success working effectively and respectfully with host country government, private sector, INGO, NGO partners, UN cluster and working group system as well as other stakeholders in complex environments.
- Proven skills in financial and grants management; prior experience with emergency response grant management for both private and institutional donors desired.
- Knowledge of SPHERE and other humanitarian programming standards.
- Successful and proven negotiation, communication and organization skills.
- Excellent oral and written English skills required; proficiency in Arabic is an asset.
- Ability to work effectively with an ethnically diverse team in a sensitive environment and from remote locations.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal oversight
The successful Team Leader Libya will skillfully represent humanitarian priorities of the agency to donors and regional partners while providing effective leadership to the Mercy Corps program team in high demanding environments. S/he will be capable of multi-tasking, rapid decision-making, have initiative, drive and a lot of energy, as well as high emotional intelligence, constructive mentoring skills and proven experience with capacity building. The Team Leader Libya will be committed to long-term program sustainability and the delivery of high-impact activities at the community level. Successful Mercy Corps team members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and challenging environments, and make effective written and verbal communication a priority.
LIVING CONDITIONS/ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
This position is unaccompanied due to duration up to 90days and is based in Tunis, Tunisia. This position will be required to reside in Tunis (with possible/occasional travels to Libya). The team member must follow all security protocols at all times.
Mercy Corps Team members represent the agency both during and outside of work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.