Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a service enterprise for development cooperation with international operations and global experience. Owned by the Federal Republic of Germany, the organisation operates as a private-sector enterprise with a development policy mandate: to make sustainable improvements to the living conditions of people in the countries we operate in. The organisation’s business area - GIZ International Services - is the vehicle for offering GIZ’s services to international clients.
GIZ International Services is currently applying for an EU - funded project: EU-China Partnership Facility (ECPF).
The overall objective of the EU-China Partnership Facility (ECPF) is to advance EU-China relations in key priority areas.
The facility is expected to contribute to the strengthening and enlargement of EU-China relations in line with the strategic framework represented by the EU Global Strategy, the EU Strategy on China, and the EU-China 2020 Strategic Agenda for Cooperation, as well as other relevant bilateral agreements.
The purposes of this contract are as follows:
- Help develop EU-China bilateral dialogues in specific priority areas of EU and mutual interest.
- Support implementation of the EU Strategy on China and Bilateral Agreements.
The Key expert 1 will be the primary contact for the Contracting Authority. She/he will act as Team Leader (TL) and is expected to provide, in a coordinated manner, leadership to the Project Team (PT), taking responsibility for the coordinated and efficient implementation of the various components of the project as well as coordinating and managing the work of other experts.
Furthermore, she/he shall ensure coordination with the Contracting Authority and other stakeholders of the project. The key senior expert will work closely with target groups, under the authority of the Delegation and SG.
The TL shall also perform advisory functions in two areas: the monitoring of various sector dialogues supported by the action, and the planning, monitoring, implementation and evaluation of project activities itself. In order to ensure successful implementation of the project, close relationship will need to be established between the TL, the EUD China and other relevant European or Chinese authorities. The main tasks assigned to the team leader are (not exhaustive list):
a) Overall responsibility for the management of the project with the support of the Key expert 2;
b) Monitor the implementation of the various activities
c) Maintain close cooperation with various Chinese and European actors involved in the various activities;
d) Strategic planning and programming;
e) Preparation of project related meetings.
Qualifications and skills
- University degree at master’s level (or equivalent) in a subject or discipline relevant to this assignment such as social science, economy, political science, China studies, etc.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong analytical skills and computer literacy;
- Proficiency in English and Chinese.
General professional experience
- Minimum 10 years of post-graduate full-time relevant experience.
- Minimum 5 years of working experience in project management, leading teams in the public or private sector or in public-funded projects of similar size and duration.
Specific professional experience
- Preferably 10 years, but a minimum 5 years full-time proven post-graduate experience in project management in China or the EU.
- A very good knowledge of EU and /or EU Member States’ cooperation with China is an asset.
- Knowledge of EU procedures, in particular related to service contracts is an asset.
The intended start date is October 2018 and the period of implementation of the contract will be 36 months from this date.
The operational base for the project shall be in Beijing (China).
The particulate pollution load in Beijing crosses the limit value allowed in Europe around a multiple. Within the scope of the selection procedure and in the course of the setting investigation you will be informed about suitable preventive measures and behavioral measures.
Please note that we basically can only receive and process applications sent via our e-recruiting system. Should you not be able to do so, please contact the person named in the job advertisement.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
Please send us an updated CV in Europeaid format in English.