Team Leader - Rule of Law Programme (Jordan)
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people’s lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.
Project Overview and Role:
Palladium are currently seeking a Team Leader to join the management team for a project in Jordan.
The team is responsible for leading the delivery of the Strengthening the Rule of Law in Jordan programme.
The Team Leader will provide supervision to the Finance Manager, Operations Officer and Workstream Leads.
Reporting to: Programme Director (based in London, UK) whilst also working closely with the Project Manager, MEL Advisor and corporate partners to meet the needs of the programme.
Project duration: 15 months (January 2020 - March 2021)
Location: Amman, with possibility of travel within Jordan and to the UK during the project.
Based in Amman, the Jordan Strengthening Rule of Law programme is a UK Government-funded project that provides technical support to the Economic Chambers and the Jordanian Judicial Institute. The aim of the project is to support these organisations and other key stakeholders to have greater transparency and efficiency in administration of justice that is responsive to citizens’ needs, improves protection of commercial assets and regulatory compliance, and helps foster investment.
The programme’s objectives are as follows:
- Increase public confidence in the Jordanian judicial system through enabling greater transparency and consistency
- Support strengthening of the Judicial Institute’s curriculum by supporting Economic Chambers Judges with tailored training and mentorship.
- Consult with business, government agencies and civil society to design more efficient processes, systems and effective administration within the Economic Chamber
- Contribute towards meeting the aims of Jordan’s Integrity and Anti-Corruption Commission
- Ensure sustainability of approaches embedded within the Jordanian Judiciary to continue beyond the end of the project
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to the team to ensure the ongoing professional development of implementation staff
- Programme development and implementation, guiding the development and review of workstreams and their activities
- Lead the preparation of the annual strategic plans; technical and operational work plans and budgets; staffing plans; performance management and other planning activities as required
- Liaise closely with the Project Director to identify lessons and programme thought-leadership subjects to allow Palladium to position itself of further engagements on this thematic area in Jordan.
- Develop and Manage Effective working relationships with key stakeholders including the Government, the Judiciary, the Judicial Institute and Donors operating in Jordan
- Lead on workstream 3 work, to support Jordan to progress towards its anti-corruption commitments
- Provide technical guidance to implementation staff to ensure results are achieved
- Monitor implementation progress; work to resolve issues, manage and mitigate risk; and escalate material issues and risks as appropriate
- Contribute to training needs assessment of the team, developing and implementing performance improvement plans and on-the-job training where appropriate
- Develop and maintain a positive and productive work environment with sub-contractors
- Extensive experience working in the areas of governance, rule of law, anti-corruption, judicial reform and/or improving access to justice.
- Experience collaborating with government, judiciary and the private sector.
- Experience working in Jordan and the region.
- Experience delivering international donor programmes, particularly UK-funded programmes
- Political sensitivity and understanding of how to handle sensitive donor-funded projects
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Advanced or fluent Arabic language skills
- Excellent report writing skills
- Ability to work and lead the team remotely
- Strong leadership and communication skills
- Strong understanding and demonstrable experience of working with judicial stakeholders in Jordan, especially the Judicial Council, JIACC, the Jordanian Bar Association, or the Economic Chamber.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field relating to law or governance; Master’s Degree Preferred