Position Title: Team Leader/Senior Evaluation Expert (International) – STTA
Reports to: DevTech Home Office Program Manager. Technically, reports to the MEL Specialist Education, MEL Activity, DevTech Systems Inc.
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is an international consulting firm dedicated to development, with 35 years of experience providing advisory services and technical assistance to government, private sector, and civil society stakeholders in more than 100 countries. DevTech core practice areas include: Economic and Data analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education and Youth Development, Gender and Inclusive Development, and Public Financial Management. DevTech Systems, Inc. implements the Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning (MEL) Activity. The Activity provides continuous, on-the-ground, on-demand and systematic support to USAID/Nigeria and implementing partners on performance monitoring, data verification, impact and performance evaluations, project and activity level monitoring, evaluation planning and management, organizational learning, capacity building, and knowledge management. DevTech is supporting USAID/Nigeria to conduct an endline evaluation of the Northern Nigeria Initiative Plus (NEI Plus) Activity, hence seeking a highly qualified Team Leader/Senior Evaluation Expert (International) with the requisite experience to be part of the evaluation team.
The endline evaluation is expected to build on the NEI Plus Midline Evaluation and use appropriate methods in order to analyze progress over the life of the activity. The endline evaluation is intended to deepen USAID’s understanding of what was achieved and how it was achieved. The Government of Nigeria, USAID, and its implementing partners will use the evaluation findings to make decisions for possible follow-on activities.
The audience of the evaluation report will be USAID/Nigeria, specifically the Education Office, implementing partners, key officials from the federal, state and local government levels, and other development partners. An Executive Summary narrative with recommendations and a PowerPoint presentation will be provided to USAID/Nigeria in advance of the full report completion. These documents will synthesize findings and recommendations for future programming. The effectiveness of the Education Office’s strategy of investing in systems strengthening at the state and local levels to improve the quality of education should be explored.
Period of Performance Tentative: March 2, 2020 – May 22, 2020
Level of Effort: 45 Days
- 5 days - Desk Review and Development of evaluation work plan and protocols;
- 9 days – Work plan/Protocol finalization and in-brief with USAID, implementing partners and education officials;
- 11 days - Data Collection and field visits;
- 12 days - Data Analysis and Report Writing; and
- 8 days - Finalization of report.
Experience: The Team Leader/Senior Evaluation Expert must have:
- At least five years senior level experience working in improving the quality of early grade reading at basic education projects in a developing country including Sub Saharan Africa.
- A master’s degree in education, international development, or an applicable field.
- Strong technical expertise in monitoring and evaluation methodology, data collection methods, including qualitative and quantitative data; extensive expertise in the area of basic education and significant international experience.
- Strong organizational skills, including assessing priorities, strategic planning, meeting deadlines and attention to detail and quality is required.
Job Description: The Team Leader/Senior Evaluation Expert will:
- Lead the evaluation Team under the management of the MEL Specialist;
- Work together with team of experts comprised of Education/Conflict Expert (international), local expert(s) and MEL Management Staff to conduct the NEI Plus End-line evaluation;
- Elaborate the methodology for evaluating the NEI+ project and write a Design Plan, including sampling and data collection tools;Conduct field visits, interviews and discussions with beneficiaries, donors, government officials, representatives of related USAID projects, and others who work with or have been impacted by the activity;
- Developed a detailed work plan which will include the methodologies to be used in the evaluation;
- Presentation of major findings of the evaluation through a PPT presentation to include a discussion of achievements and issues as well as any recommendations for possible modifications to project approaches, results, or activities and a draft report;
- Presentation of the final report with all comments adequately addressed and incorporated, and a final PPT presentation of the report.
About the Organization
NOTE: This job posting should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent consultant evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or other status protected by applicable law.