Project: Technical assistance to ACP Secretariat for the Intra ACP climate services and related applications programme
Engagement: Long-term, 1100 working days
The overall objective of the programme is to contribute to the efforts of ACP regions and countries to adapt to climate change and climate variability through incorporating science-based climate prediction and information services into national and regional planning processes.
The specific objective is to strengthen the climate service value chain through building the capacities of decision-makers at all levels to make effective use of climate information and services.
The action will contribute to sustainable development as well as strengthen the tools that bridge climate services stakeholders and users in climate-sensitive sectors such as agriculture and food security, disaster risk reduction, water, energy and health.
Under the action, the main expected results are:
- Result 1: Structured interaction between the user, researchers, and climate services providers in ACP regions through a User Interface Platforms.
- Result 2: Provision of climate services at Regional and National level is effectively guaranteed and secured and Climate Service Information Systems (CSIS) are strengthened.
- Result 3: Access to Climate Information is improved by strengthening observation and monitoring systems, as well as Research, Modelling and prediction.
- Result 4: Capacity of ACP regions is enhanced to generate and apply climate information and products relevant to their particular concerns.
- Result 5: Climate-informed decision-making is enhanced in ACP regions, gap is bridged between climate science and policy for improved mainstreaming of climate services into policy processes at regional and national levels.
The actions will be implemented by the ACP Secretariat, the UN specialised agency World Meteorological Organization (WMO) and the European Commission’s Joint Research Centre (JRC). The main beneficiaries of the action are the Regional Climate Centres (RCCs), the African Union Commission (AUC), the African Regional Economic Communities (RECs), the Caribbean Institute for Meteorology and Hydrology (CIMH) and the Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme (SPREP).
The purpose of this contract is to enhance the capacity of the ACP Secretariat to achieve the objectives the Intra ACP Climate Services Programme and fulfil its role in monitoring and coordinating the Programme with the view to deliver the five main expected results.
The expected results to be achieved by the Contractor are the following:
- Output 1: Evaluation, monitoring and reporting on the Intra ACP Climate Services Programme is established and maintained;
- Output 2: Development and support to the implementation of the capacity building plan in strategic and thematic issues to augment the capacity of stakeholders in every step of the climate services value chain in line with the Competency Framework for Climate Services is ensured;
- Output 3: Establishment and operationalisation of an appropriate communication, visibility and knowledge management strategy serving the exchange and cross fertilization of experience among Intra ACP Climate Services Programme partners is maintained;
- Output 4: Organization of Intra-ACP Climate Services yearly fora and other events is guaranteed;
- Output 5: Setting up a dedicated Information platform/Portal to exchange best practice, make information available for specific need and encourage cooperation between the regions is strengthened; and
- Output 6: Support to RCCs in bringing added-value to climate services through integration of socio-economic elements, analytical components and visualization tools is ensured.
Qualifications and skills
- At least a master’s degree or equivalent in environmental science, engineering, natural resource management, or related fields;
- An excellent verbal and written command of English and at least a working knowledge of French; and
- Excellent management and communication skills are essential.
General professional experience
- At least 12 years of working experience in the field of environment and climate change in developing countries;
- At least 5 years of working experience in climate monitoring, climate forecast and prediction and climate services;
- At least 3 years of working experience in at least one of the climate services applications domains (e.g. Agriculture and Food Security, Water Management, Disaster Risk Reduction, Health, Energy);
- At least 3 years of working experience in the area of Earth Observation and environmental monitoring.
Specific professional experience
- Experience as Team Leader of at least one (1) Climate Change and Environment development project;
- At least 6 years of working experience in ACP countries is required;
- Other preferred requirements: experience working together with ACP Regional Economic Communities, experience in developing regional capacity building strategies, experience managing EU-funded development cooperation programmes; experience establishing and implementing monitoring system of EU-funded development cooperation programmes.
About the Organization
Human Dynamics is a leading European provider of consulting services for the public sector with more than 120 projects implemented in 30 countries worldwide. Currently, Human Dynamics and its 300 experts and consultants advise more than 40 ministries and public/government agencies worldwide. You are welcome on our website for more details: www.humandynamics.org