UK Prosperity Fund: Future Cities Programme Southeast Asia
Job Title: Team Leader - Urban Planner / Urban Resilience
Location: Surabaya, Indonesia
Duration: May 2019 – September 2022 (2.5 years)
Reporting to: Regional Programme Manager
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
ABOUT THE FUTURE CITIES PROGRAMME
The Global Future Cities Programme has one dedicated package of interventions in Southeast Asia (SEA). The Future Cities Programme SEA will address key barriers to prosperity in selected cities spanning 6 countries (Indonesia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam), through a total of 15 interventions, building upon three integrated pillars: 1) Urban planning, 2) Transportation, and 3) Resilience. All interventions incorporate a significant focus on interlinked social, economic, and environmental impacts and feature the cross-cutting themes of smart data and infrastructure finance.
ABOUT THE SURABAYA INTERVENTIONS
Within Indonesia, two interventions are planned in Surabaya, both largely focusing on sustainable development through data-driven and evidence-based improvements, where the interventions are as follows:
Intervention 1: Urban Transformation Plan for Putat Jaya in Surabaya, Indonesia
Intervention 2: Earthquake Preparedness Strategy for Surabaya, Indonesia
ABOUT THE ROLE
AECOM is seeking an Urban Planner / Urban Resilience Specialist to lead the Future Cities Programme’s resilience and planning interventions in Surabaya, with a majority of time spent within the city. Reporting to the Regional Programme Manager and exchanging knowledge and expertise with AECOM’s Intervention Leads of the other programme cities, the Surabaya Intervention Lead will be the driving force of their team and will be responsible for ensuring smooth, effective project guidance and execution. The Intervention Lead will be responsible for all technical and operational matters within the two Surabaya interventions and will play a critical role in achieving the overall project objectives, including: preparation of resilience strategies; governance framework development, formation of operational, business and financial models as applicable, overseeing monitoring and evaluation strategies, and ensuring quality control and timeliness of all deliverables as required. The successful candidate will be hired on a fixed-length contract.
- Manage the team of technical experts and support staff through intervention planning and implementation.
- Provide direction and support in the operational management of all intervention components, including planning and monitoring, human resources, and financial management.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting on technical and financial performance to the PMU.
- Be the key point of contact in Surabaya in dealing with the intervention clients, stakeholders, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office/British Embassy, AECOM, and AECOM’s partners.
- Raise awareness of the programme and ensure it is closely coordinated with related initiatives by Indonesian governments, donor agencies, and other relevant parties.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with the relevant government agencies, organisations and programmes, development partners, the private sector and civil society.
- Apply innovative approaches to project delivery and an understanding of the economic and social challenges faced in Indonesia, with a specific focus on gender and resilience.
- Flex and adapt the Surabaya interventions to external changes as well as lessons learned from within the Future Cities Programme SEA.
The following section outlines the expected skills and experience for the role:
- University Bachelor’s degree (required), and Master’s degree (desirable), in a relevant field (ideally urban resilience, participatory urban planning, disaster risk reduction or similar).
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in project/team leader roles for donor-funded contracts (required), and experience with complex UKAid (e.g. DFID, FCO, BEIS) programmes (desirable).
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in managing multi-year, multi-component projects and multi-disciplinary project teams.
- Proven ability to effectively manage teams (required), with experience in mentoring and coaching (desirable).
- Successful track record in working at the intersection of the public, private, and civil society sectors in developing countries, facilitating projects and transactions in key economic sectors.
- Significant experience in working at the highest level of developing country governments and managing stakeholder relationships.
- Expertise in one or more of the following areas: participatory urban planning, urban disaster resilience (particularly earthquakes), community upgrading.
- Experience of working on technical assistance and capacity building of governments at local, regional and national level in the above sectors.
- Understanding of different approaches to attracting different forms of financing for infrastructure service delivery in developing countries (essential) and SEA (preferred).
- Credible, diplomatic communicator with excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Fluency in English (required) and local language(s) (desirable).
- Experience of working in Indonesia (highly preferred) and SEA (essential).
About the Organization
Why choose AECOM?
Imagine working for a truly global company whose 90,000 employees share a singular passion: to make the world a better place. We enjoy what we do at AECOM. We bring projects to life in the cities and communities in which we work, and we’re driven by a set of values and a common purpose — to create, enhance and sustain the world’s built, natural and social environments. Innovation is built into every project we manage and every community we serve. We’ll provide you support in an environment that allows you to grow and succeed. Come share your passion with us.
We can offer you an environment where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people.
AECOM is an equal opportunity employer and Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons are encouraged to apply. For further information, please click here to view the EEO Is the Law poster.