The purpose of the Private Sector Landscape Assessment (PSLA) is to inform the new USAID/Indonesia Country Development Cooperation Strategy (CDCS - FYs 2021-2025) by developing action-oriented recommendations for private sector engagement (PSE) approaches and activities.
USAID/Indonesia PSE initiatives for FYs 2021-2025 will be cross-sectoral and focuses on three main sectors:
• Education: higher education research (including applied research) and workforce development;
• Environment: water and sanitation for health (WASH), advanced energy, marine & terrestrial management, and climate adaptation; and
• Health: maternal and child health, tuberculosis and HIV/AIDS management, and health system and financial management strengthening.
In addition, the assessment will explore two cross-cutting themes within the aforementioned sectors: 1) anti-corruption issues affecting private sector engagement, and 2) identification of sources of finance to fuel development initiatives. Through USAID’s efforts to de-risk, scale and crowd-in private sector support to development programming, it is hoped that USAID support will tip the scale towards sustainable market-based solutions that may not have been possible without USAID’s strategic assistance.
MSI is seeking a qualified team leader for the PSLA assessment in Indonesia. The team leader will provide the expertise required to design and lead the assessment, as well as to synthesize findings and develop programming recommendations for USAID’s consideration. The desk study component will begin in late May. Fieldwork in Indonesia, which is expected to take five to six weeks, is expected to begin in mid-June 2019.
In collaboration with USAID and MSI staff, the team leader will:
- Play a lead role in producing, writing and presenting a summary desk study review.
- Guide the team in developing an assessment methodology, work plan, and a data collection and analysis plan.
- Develop and lead a discussion briefing with USAID/Indonesia on the assessment’s principal findings and recommendations at the conclusion of the fieldwork phase.
- Take the lead in writing reports (desk study plus final report).
- Undertake other tasks required for the successful completion of the review
The team leader is ultimately responsible for the successful completion of all deliverables.
- At least a master’s degree in a relevant field, such as economics, business administration, economic policy, finance, trade, private sector development or a related field.
- At least 10 years of relevant experience, including a demonstrated record of working on private sector assessments or other economic growth-related assessments covering national and subnational levels.
- Knowledge of innovative development financing products, such as bonds (including blue or green bonds), impact investment funds, public-private partnerships and market-based financial transaction instruments.
- Working knowledge and familiarity with one or more of the core technical areas of the USAID/Indonesia portfolio: Education, Environment, and Health.
- Prior USAID experience and knowledge of USAID’s program development process.
- Excellent English writing and editing skills and communication/interview skills for the presentation and stakeholder discussions, as well as an ability to take information from a wide variety of sources and draft clear, succinct, high-level analysis and reports for general dissemination.
- Prior experience working in Indonesia is strongly preferred.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
Applications must be submitted no later than May 8, 2019.
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.