Job Title: Technical Advisor II – Emergency Prg Quality and Mgmt (PQM) Southern Africa Regional Focal Point
Location: US/Domestic US Telecommuting
In this role, you will provide technical advice and support to a range of program design and implementation issues in Emergency Response and Recovery (ERR), in line with CRS program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices, to Country Program (CP) teams and partners to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable.
* providing rapid deployment leadership capacity for breaking and ongoing humanitarian responses with a focus on the Southern Africa Region (SARO), which has on-going emergency responses in drought and cyclone prone areas of Madagascar, Mozambique, Malawi, Namibia, Zimbabwe and Lesotho, and is vulnerable to seasonal floods, food crises and political conflict;
* ensuring integration of social cohesion and peacebuilding approaches in ERR programming, in alignment with the Agency strategy and the SARO regional strategy; and
* coordinating participation of SARO staff in internal and external humanitarian conferences and learning events, as appropriate, and leading ERR knowledge management, capacity building and sharing within the region to ensure best practices and learning are shared across the country programs.
* Masters’ Degree or equivalent field experience in international development or related field.
* Minimum five years of experience in overseas programming, preferably managing emergency response and recovery programs.
* Experience managing large and multi-cultural teams.
* Experience in multi-sector program design for emergencies, including rapid assessment.
* Experience working with and through local partner organizations and in building the capacity of local organization to manage programs/resources, preferably in emergency situations.
* Experience with emergency team leadership, program design, proposal development, supply chain, administration and financial oversight, response coordination, information management, monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning (MEAL), and integration of cross-cutting themes (e.g., capacity strengthening, protection mainstreaming, gender, good governance and social cohesion) into emergency programming. Knowledge of CRS and Caritas Internationalis emergency programming and standards a plus.
* Highly proficient in security protocols and management of emergency programs in insecure environments.
* Previous experience with and/or demonstrated knowledge of social cohesion and peacebuilding approaches desired.
* Experience with and enthusiasm for coaching, mentoring and on the job training.
* Experience with promoting staff care in emergency settings.
* Knowledge of the Southern Africa emergency context is a plus.
Fluency in English and professional level in Spanish, French, Portuguese or Arabic required; Portuguese and/or French are preferred.
Travel is expected to be approximately 50% (i.e., six months of the year); duration of a deployment will generally be from 3 to 8 weeks, depending on the needs of the country program. Candidates should have capacity to live and work in difficult/stressful environments and serve wherever agency needs dictate.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.