The Technical Advisor (TA) reports to a Senior Technical Advisor or Director in Bangladesh, and provides technical assistance, analytical and operational support across a range of ThinkWell in-country public or private sector projects of one or more projects. The Advisor serves as a subject matter expert and supports implementation, for internal project teams as well as external partners (government ministries, local entities).
ThinkWell is recruiting multiple technical advisors for its donor-funded health sector projects in Bangladesh, covering one or more of the following technical areas: health financing, health insurance, business strategy, public health research, market research, primary health care and essential services delivery, and health program design, implementation, and monitoring.
The Advisor is specialized in their technical area (health financing, health insurance, business strategy, public health and market research, etc.) and leverages that expertise to support program design and execution. The Advisor provides technical leadership and is responsible for growing their portfolio and for ensuring high-quality technical project execution.
Position based in Dhaka, Bangladesh – open to Bangladeshi nationals only.
- Provide direct technical assistance to ensure high quality program results and execution across projects in the area of specialization.
- The Technical Advisor typically engages departmental level officials within government or healthcare organizations, donors, donor-funded projects, etc. providing focused technical support to department heads that contributes to national conversations.
- Lead research, development of business cases, market study, as well as design and implementation of health programs and business initiatives.
- Support Bangladesh Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and other ministries, as needed, with technical assistance, program design and implementation, review of national health financing strategy, budget planning, preparation and execution, and budget advocacy.
- Support the review, design and implementation of health financing mechanisms such as health insurance and financial protection options.
- Contribute to work planning, coordinate across external partners and lead their engagement in collaborative projects
- Develop monitoring, evaluation, research and learning tools, indicators and plans
- Communicate with other ThinkWell technical advisors within Bangladesh and globally to build, share, exchange and disseminate technical knowledge
- Recruit, support and mentor team members in the area of technical specialty; potential dotted line management responsibility for technical team members
Organizational Leadership and Development
- Represent ThinkWell in work location, actively engage key stakeholders, cultivate new business partnerships and concepts
- Build project portfolio in technical specialty area in collaboration with Design Lab, program managers and other firm and country leaders.
- Collaborate with Design Lab to collect and pursue new business information and contacts
- Publish papers, articles and blogs. Present at conferences/participate in technical working groups on ThinkWell project-related technical innovations, priorities and results. Build ThinkWell reputation as a thought leader in the field.
- Consult and coordinate with key stakeholders within government, donors, and other entities to build ThinkWell program division and reputation
- Participate in company initiatives and teams to build intellectual and human capital in technical area of specialization.
ThinkWell core values are our fundamental organizational guiding principles. They define our corporate culture, influence our behavior at work and help us achieve our mission. Our values are:
Influence the conversation
Evolve by learning
ThinkWell core competencies are foundational skills and behaviors that align with our values and are expected of all employees.
An entrepreneurial, results-oriented ‘do-er’ with a willingness to take risk, think big and challenge conventional wisdom.
A change maker who reaches independent judgement with an open mind, influences the conversation, and seeks innovation.
Able to help create an empowering environment in which everyone feels free to take initiative, be accountable and fail intelligently (learn from mistakes).
A collaborative colleague who engages constructively with people from different cultures, orientations, and perspectives and maintains positive relations in a virtual world.
Principally motivated by a growth mindset, meaning the pursuit of knowledge, experience, and self-improvement. You always question and continuously learn.
Authentic, honest, direct, self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- BA/BS and 8+ yrs experience or graduate degree (Masters) and 6+ years of experience, primarily in the health sector; degree in health economics, MBA, health financing, public health, or related field preferred.
- Substantive, relevant work experience in the specific area of technical expertise. (e.g., health financing or health policy expertise, health systems strengthening, public health research, ministries of health and finance experience, etc.). Adept at communicating technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Extensive experience with project monitoring and evaluation in the area of technical specialization.
- Demonstrated interest and ability in growing staff, mentoring and coaching junior professionals.
- A senior leader, able to rally staff around ThinkWell’s mission and priorities.
- A thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of our work.
- Recognized as a leader in the area of technical specialty; strong international, professional network in the field.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with external strategic partners, donors, and stakeholders.
- New business development, proposal writing and fundraising experience.
- Full English fluency, second language a plus; strong English writing skills.
- Outstanding cross-cultural communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25%.
About the Organization
Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up, even disgusted, with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done.