Requisition ID: req2006
Job Title: Technical Advisor for Protection and Rule of Law
Sector: Protection and rule of law
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The IRC’ s vision is to lead the humanitarian field by implementing high-impact, cost-effective programs for people affected by crisis and by using our learning and experience to shape policy and practice. To achieve that vision, the IRC’ s Program Quality Unit (PQU) provides technical assistance to IRC’ s country program staff and shares what we learn to influence policy and practice.
PQU has three central objectives that we work towards:
1) Guide program design to achieve outcomes by incorporating the best available evidence
2) Build technical capacity of country program staff to implement, measure and continuously improve programs
3) Influence the IRC, peer agencies and donors to use proven interventions and generate new evidence to achieve change in peoples’ lives
PQU is comprised of seven Technical Units, all of which have deep expertise in their respective sectors: Education, Economic Wellbeing, Gender Equality, Governance, Health, Violence Prevention and Response, and Research Evaluation and Learning (REL).
The Protection/Rule of Law Technical Adviser will form part of the Violence Prevention and Response Technical Unit (VPRU), which houses expertise in the field of protection and rule of law, child protection, and women’ s protection and empowerment. The VPRU is responsible for providing dynamic, innovative support to IRC’ s field offices and provides technical assistance, ensures innovation, promotes best practices, and helps to improve data collection and analysis for protection programming within the organization. The Protection/Rule of Law team of the VPRU is supporting the implementation of protection programs in 22 countries, ranging from protection mainstreaming support to information/protection monitoring programming, promotion of access to justice, and supporting community based protection initiatives.
The Protection/Rule of Law Technical Advisor (TA) will spend at least 80% of his/her time delivering technical assistance in-person and remotely to country program colleagues in Burundi, Chad, Mali, Cameroon, DRC, Libya, Niger, Cote D’ Ivoire and CAR. The remaining time is spent on influence, advocacy, research and internal initiatives, as required by the team’ s overall strategy. The Technical Advisors’ specific responsibilities are as follows:
Guiding program design:
Support country program staff to design programs and projects, ensuring that they are:
* Responsive to client needs and preferences
* Based on sound context and gender analysis
* Help define approach to teaming / partnering with other organizations
* Support selection of indicators for country programs
Engaging in business development:
* Review technical quality of proposals, including review of technical activities and ensuring alignment to IRC’ s outcomes. When necessary, write technical narrative of proposals
* Provide input on budgets required for project delivery
* Engage with donors and do outreach in support of country programs
Building technical capacity of country program staff to ensure ongoing program quality and innovation:
* Share cross-context learning with country program staff across the West Africa and Great Lakes Regions
* Conduct technical training and ongoing technical coaching for country program staff, including on IRC outcomes, theories of change, evidence and indicators
* Review and share program-specific tools / resources / curricula and work with Technical Unit specialists to contextualize and adapt global and country-specific materials
* Support senior country program staff recruitment and on-boarding
Influence the IRC, peer agencies and donors to use proven interventions and generate new evidence:
* Participate in working groups, inter-agency task forces and academic conferences that focus on protection, rule of law, and/or advocacy on relevant issues.
* Present IRC research findings across contexts and relevant conferences
* Help country programs in designing/implementing research on the impact of the Protection/Rule of Law projects developed in-country
Contribute to Strategy and Tool Development:
* Work with members of the VPRU towards achieving the unit’ s strategic priorities, including the development and roll-out of VPRU programming models in selected country programs
* Contribute to the development of new program areas or approaches for the Protection/Rule of Law team within the VPRU, including for access to justice/legal empowerment programming
Key Working Relationships:
* Position Reports to: Protection and Rule of Law Senior Technical Advisor
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Regular communication with education, violence prevention and response, health, economic recovery & development, governance, research, evaluation and learning, and gender equality technical unit teams. Close relationships with regional and country program teams. Interacts with IRC internal departments, including business development, external relations and advocacy departments, to keep them informed of program activities.
Serve as IRC program representative in outside regional meetings and global meetings and academic forums with donors, other non-governmental organizations, inter-agency groups and foundations.
Master’ s/post-graduate degree in international law, human rights law, international development or relevant field or equivalent combination of education and experience is required.
A minimum of 6-8 years in implementing and/or managing Protection/Rule of Law programs is required, preferably within a humanitarian, international development setting. Experience in technical tools and materials development, proposal development monitoring and evaluation, and research in relation to education is highly desired. Experience in strategy development and working across sectors or disciplines is highly desired.
Demonstrated Skills and Competencies:
Demonstrated expertise in program design, monitoring and evaluation, with the ability to turn concepts and strategy into measurable action. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Demonstrated commitment to renewing and maintaining currency with best practices.
Language Skills: Fluency in English and French is required.
Working Environment: Up to 30% travel may be required. This position will be based in New York.
All IRC staff are required to adhere to THE IRC Way Standards for Professional Conduct and the IRC country employment policies.
About the Organization
From emergency response through post-conflict development work, in a great variety of roles around the world, the International Rescue Committee’s 8,000-plus staff is a force for humanity and hope. If you’re skilled and passionate, we’d like to add your energy to ours.
Careers at the IRC are as wide-ranging and far-reaching as our work. Encouraging staff development through promotion, transfer and rehire, the IRC nurtures long-term career paths and helps employees grow within the organization.
At any given moment, on any given day, all around the world, IRC staff members are restlessly and effectively working for the sake of the most vulnerable among us—to restore and renew hope, dignity and freedom.
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.