Job Title: Technical Advisor I
Reports to: Emergency Coordinator
Salary Grade: 9
Location: Bangladesh/Cox’s Bazar
Position Type: Full Time
You will provide technical advice and support to a range of program design and implementation issues in the area of protection programming in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices to Country Program (CP) teams to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your advice, knowledge, and support will contribute to determining how effective, adaptive and innovative CRS’ protection programming is across the globe.
The Technical Advisor (TA) will support Caritas Bangladesh’s protection program with an aim to enhancing program quality, alignment with relevant international and response-specific standards and guidance, and consistency with Caritas Bangladesh’s Protection Strategy for the response. The TA will work closely with Caritas Bangladesh Manager Protection in Cox’s Bazar office and with the Caritas Bangladesh management team.
You will provide technical support, mentor and coach CRS Cox’s Bazar based Protection PM in her/his role of managing CRS funded protection programs. You will also maintain relations and coordination with donors and sector partners and ensure maintaining and enhancing Caritas’ and CRS’ capacity and reputation.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Support the development and contribute to the implementation of agency-wide strategies, standards, tools and best practices in protection programming that effectively engage partners, donors, and governments. Help ensure a cross-sectoral approach integrating gender, protection mainstreaming, and disaster risk reduction.
- Provide technical solutions to CRS and Caritas Bangladesh teams, remotely and on-site, for strategic planning and how to best apply standards, best practices, partnership principles, tools and MEAL, helping to ensure high-quality implementation or protection programming in camps together with the rollout of protection programming to host communities of Cox’s Bazar.
- Contribute to, and in some cases lead, the development of the technical design for proposals. Support the process of preparation, design, submission and approval of project concepts and full-fledged proposals. As needed, act as a technical writer on proposal development teams. Advise project teams on integrating donor strategies, priorities and technical requirements into CRS’ approach.
- Support capacity strengthening initiatives of the protection staff in case management by training and coaching on identification of individuals at heightened risk, assessment, safe referrals, and information management. Support mainstreaming of protection principles, coach the team to make the project more community-based by promoting community engagement and including all community members. Ensure safety and dignity of beneficiaries in Rohingya context all along case management process.
- Contribute to maintaining relationships with donors, peer organizations, research and other institutions, participate in forums in the area of protection programming to collect and share best practices and promote CRS’ work. Support Caritas Bangladesh on coordination with protection sector and GBV and CP sub-sectors and other protection actors in camps where Caritas Bangladesh operates and participate as a member of the protection task force team.
- Review existing protection programming guidelines and make sure they are up to the required standard by donors and protection sector. Customize newly introduced approaches to fit in to Rohingya response context and develop new guidelines as needed.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work, Psychology, Social Science, Human Rights or related fields is required.
- Minimum of three years relevant work experience with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with minimum of two years relevant field-based experience in working in GBV and protection in emergency responses.
- Knowledge of technical principles and concepts in protection programming General knowledge of other related disciplines to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach.
- Field experience in social work and case management in emergency context.
- Familiarity with a case management system on electronic devices.
- Experience developing and delivering culturally appropriate content for awareness sessions and messaging in Protection, GBV and PSS.
- Experience in facilitation of sessions and workshops with affected communities on protection and PSS-related topics.
- Understanding of the humanitarian coordination system and ability to contribute to the protection response, and coordinate with other protection partners to share learnings
- Experience in project design and proposal development. Experience in writing content for proposals.
- Knowledge of capacity strengthening best practices.
- Experience with program monitoring and evaluation and analysis.
- Experience and skills in networking and relations with donors, peer organizations, and faith-based and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles.
Required Languages - - English proficiency required, Bangla and Rohingya are highly desirable.
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 60 % within Cox’s Bazar district including to refugee camps and host community villages.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings
- Good strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment
- Good technical writing skills
- Presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information and budget management systems, knowledge-sharing networks.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
Supervisory Responsibilities – None
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Emergency Coordinator, Program Manager, Country Manager, HRD Technical Advisors and MEAL Technical Advisors.
External: Caritas Bangladesh Protection team, Caritas Bangladesh management team, Sector coordinators, UNHCR, and other UN actors. Other NGOs implementing protection programs.
NOTE: Applications will be accepted until this position is filled
About the Organization
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS's Agriculture and Livelihoods team supports farming communities using our Pathway to Prosperity approach, which enables rural families to increase their productivity within sustainable landscapes, achieve a living income and build more resilient communities.