The CRS Latin American and Caribbean Office has a long tradition of strong agricultural livelihoods programming. Current initiatives include a 5-country water smart agriculture program, cacao and coffee value chains projects, and initiatives promoting nutrition-sensitive agriculture. You will provide technical advice, guidance, and support to a wide range of program design and implementation issues with a focus on larger projects in the area of Agricultural Livelihoods in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices to regional and Country Program (CP) teams to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your technical knowledge, advice and guidance will contribute to determining how effective, adaptive and innovative CRS’ Agriculture programming is across the globe.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of agency-wide strategies, standards, tools, and best practices in Agricultural Livelihoods that effectively engage partners, donors and governments. Help ensure a cross-sectoral approach integrating gender, protection mainstreaming, conservation agriculture and disaster risk reduction.
- Support technical, programming and strategic needs assessments and provide technical solutions to regional and country program teams, remotely and on-site, for strategic planning and to support application of program design and implementation standards, best practices, partnership principles, tools, and M&E, ensuring high-quality implementation.
- Carry out regular on-site field visits to country programs and projects. Develop strong knowledge of on-going projects and relationships with country program teams.
- Contribute to regional and country program efforts to pre-position CRS for growth opportunities in Agricultural Livelihoods. Lead or contribute to the development of the technical design for large and/or complex proposals, including defining appropriate monitoring systems and indicators. Advise project teams on integrating donor strategies, priorities and technical requirements into CRS’ approach.
- Contribute to capacity strengthening initiatives in Agricultural Livelihoods programming for staff and partners through helping develop learning and training strategies and agendas/curriculums, conducting trainings and workshops, and mentoring and coaching to country program staff. Specifically, lead trainings and develop a regional bench of technical resource people for rolling out CRS Smart Skills and Value Chain methodologies.
- Contribute to knowledge management and learning through collecting and analyzing program data, evaluating strategic projects, assisting with measuring program impact, capturing and sharing lessons learned and best practices, and research and internal reports.
- Establish and maintain relationships with donors, peer organizations, research and other institutions. Participate in forums in the area of Agriculture to collect and share best practices and promote CRS’ work.
Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- Master’s Degree in Agronomy, Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics or related field required.
- Minimum of five years relevant international working experience in an advisory or management role with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with minimum of three years working for programming interventions in Agricultural Livelihoods.
- Proven experience promoting successful farmer business organization and market access for smallholders.
- Previous experience providing technical assistance and developing successful proposals for external donor funding is required.
- Demonstrated application of technical principles and concepts in agricultural livelihoods, value chain development, and/or agricultural market development. General knowledge of other related disciplines to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach.
- Experience in business development, project design and proposal development, including technical writing.
- Experience in social entrepreneurship, blended financing models, impact investing, innovation platforms or other alliance-building for development approaches desirable.
- Experience in mentoring, coaching, facilitation and training applying adult learning principles and practices.
- Experience with program monitoring and evaluation, including applying data collection tools and methodologies, data analysis, and data presentation.
- Experience and skills in networking and relations with donors, peer organizations, and faith-based and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), Web Conferencing Applications, information and budget management systems, knowledge-sharing networks.
- Excellent relationship management skills with ability to influence and get buy-in from people not under direct supervision and to work with individuals in diverse geographical and cultural settings.
- Strong strategic, analytical, problem-solving and systems thinking skills with capacity to see the big picture and ability to make sound judgment
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong presentation, facilitation, training, mentoring, and coaching skills
- Proactive, resourceful and results-oriented
Required/Desired Foreign Language English fluency required. Spanish professional competency required. French or Haitian Creole proficiency desirable.
Travel Required 50% field travel required.
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Agricultural program managers in each country; Chiefs of Party for major agriculture projects; Senior Technical Advisor for Agriculture; HQ Agriculture Technical Advisors.
External: Regional agricultural research organizations; agricultural businesses and other value chain actors; technical assistance providers; financial service providers.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Trusting Relationships
- Professional Growth
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer