Technical Advisor II, Agriculture and Livelihoods, Asia
Deputy Regional Director - Program Quality (Asia)
Overseas Operations (Asia)
Catholic Relief Services (CRS) is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
CRS has been working in Asia and the Pacific since the 1940s, and currently has over 600 staff working in five country programs (India, Nepal, Cambodia, Laos, and Philippines) and 6 program offices (Bangladesh, Myanmar, Vietnam, Indonesia, Timor Leste, and Micronesia), with outreach support provided to another 11 countries (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Turkmenistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Mongolia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, China, Papua New Guinea, and Fiji). In Asia, CRS and partners deliver programs in emergency response and recovery, disaster risk reduction, agriculture/livelihoods, health, child protection, and inclusive education.
You will provide technical advice, guidance, and support to a wide range of program design and implementation issues with a focus on larger projects in the area of Agriculture and Livelihoods in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices to regional and Country Program (CP) teams to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your technical knowledge, advice and guidance will contribute to determining how effective, adaptive and innovative CRS’ Agriculture and Livelihoods programming is across the globe.
This position is responsible to build upon the strong work of CRS and our partners, and directly support country teams to deliver high quality programs in Agriculture and Livelihoods (Ag/LIV). This position will play a lead role in establishing CRS as an Ag/LIV thought leader with an influential voice in Asia. This position would provide technical support in program design, ensuring the latest thinking and understanding of donor expectations in new proposal development. This position will focus on an individual and community’s pathway to prosperity, with a strong focus on market linkages and private sector partnership. As Asia is a highly emergency-prone region, this position will also be expected to support livelihoods recovery and livelihoods elements of risk reduction. This position will also be responsible to coordinate and collaborate with technical experts in complementary areas to strengthen integrated approaches to livelihoods programming.
- Master’s Degree in Agronomy, Horticulture or fields related to Agriculture and Livelihoods (e.g. - business, economics, animal science) required.
- Minimum of five years relevant international working experience in an advisory or management role with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with minimum of three years working for programming interventions in Agriculture and Livelihoods.
- Previous experience providing technical assistance and developing successful proposals for external donor funding is required.
- Demonstrated application of technical principles and concepts in Agriculture and Livelihoods, with preferred experience in market-based programming, emergency response and recovery. General knowledge of other related disciplines to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach, inclusion nutrition, food security, gender equity and social inclusion.
- Experience in business development, project design and proposal development in Agriculture and Livelihoods, including technical writing.
Note: Telecommuting is preferred for this position, ideally from within Asia or other location with at least 4 hours’ overlap with the Asia country teams’ work day.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.