Job Title: Technical Advisor II - Agriculture and Livelihoods
Job Type: Regular, Full Time
Job Location: West Africa based or Telecommuter
Reports to: Deputy Regional Director- Program Quality, WARO
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
You will provide technical advice, guidance, and support to a wide range of program design and implementation issues in the area of Agriculture and Livelihoods in line with Catholic Relief Services (CRS) program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices to regional and Country Program (CP) teams to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your technical knowledge, advice and guidance will contribute to effective, adaptive and innovative CRS’ Agriculture and Livelihoods programming in the West Africa region, with particular focus on climate smart agriculture, market systems, and resilience.
The TA II Agriculture and Livelihoods (AL) position is part of the West Africa Regional (WARO) team supporting program quality in the region, and is also linked to the global agriculture and livelihoods team. The advisor will support the WARO AL community of practice and provide leadership to country-level project development, program quality and evaluation for 11 countries (8 country programs, CPs) in the WARO region: Burkina Faso (including outreach to Cote d’Ivoire), Ghana, Guinea, Liberia, Mali, Niger, Senegal (including outreach to Guinea-Bissau and the Gambia), and Sierra Leone. The TA II will supervise and closely collaborate with the TA II for Financial Inclusion and Business Services to ensure coherent technical support for agriculture, livelihoods, youth, SILC and microfinance programming in the region. Recognizing that youth are an increasing important demographic in West Africa, there is a preference for a candidate that has previous experience with youth livelihoods.
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the development and implementation of agency-wide and regional strategies, standards, tools, and best practices in Agriculture and Livelihoods that effectively engage partners, donors, governments and the private sector. Facilitate connections between HQ and CP technical staff, including supporting the agency’s Strategic Priority Areas for Landscapes and Livelihoods and Youth Empowerment, and the regional Climate Smart Agriculture and Livelihoods priority area, to catalyze impact at scale.
- Provide technical solutions to regional and CP teams, remotely and on-site, for strategic planning and how to best apply program design and implementation standards, best practices, partnership principles, tools, and M&E, ensuring high-quality implementation.
- Contribute to regional and CP efforts to pre-position CRS for growth opportunities in Agriculture and Livelihoods. Lead or contribute to the development of the technical design for large and/or complex proposals, including defining appropriate monitoring systems and indicators. Advise project teams on integrating donor strategies, priorities and technical requirements into CRS’ approach.
- Contribute to capacity strengthening initiatives in Agriculture and Livelihoods programming for staff and partners through helping to develop learning and training strategies and agendas/curriculums, conducting trainings and workshops, and mentoring and coaching for CP staff.
- Coordinate the WARO Agriculture and Livelihoods Community of Practice, including organizing and facilitating regular meetings, annual summits, newsletters and other exchanges. Share opportunities for learning and exchange with CP staff.
- Contribute to knowledge management and learning through collecting and analyzing program data, evaluating strategic projects, assisting with measuring program impact, capturing and sharing lessons learned and best practices, and research and internal reports.
- Establish and maintain relationships with donors, peer organizations, research and other institutions. Participate in and present at forums in the area of Agriculture and Livelihoods to collect and share best practices and promote CRS’ work.
- Help ensure a cross-sectoral approach integrating gender, protection mainstreaming, disaster risk reduction, and youth.
- Master’s Degree in Agriculture or related field required.
- Minimum of five years relevant international working experience in an advisory or management role with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with minimum of three years working for programming interventions in Agriculture and Livelihoods, including climate change adaptation and resilience, market systems, and a strong preference for experience with youth livelihoods.
- Previous experience providing technical assistance and developing successful proposals for external donor funding is required.
- Demonstrated application of technical principles and concepts in Agriculture and Livelihoods. General knowledge of other related disciplines to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach.
- Experience in business development, project design and proposal development in Agriculture and Livelihoods, including technical writing.
- Experience in mentoring, coaching, facilitation and training applying adult learning principles and practices.
- Experience with program monitoring and evaluation, including applying data collection tools and methodologies, data analysis, and data presentation.
Required Languages - Advanced or native fluency in written and oral English required; at least professional proficiency in French required.
Travel - Must be willing and able to travel up to 30%.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises the Regional Technical Advisor for Financial Inclusion and Business Services
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Reports to the Deputy Regional Director for Program Quality; collaborate with Country Representatives, Heads of Programming, Business Development Specialists, country Agriculture and Livelihoods Program Managers, other Regional Technical Advisors and HQ Senior Technical Advisors
External: Collaborate with other NGOs, UN Agencies, local government representatives, and partner staff
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.