Technical Advisor, Maternal and Newborn Health | Opportunities
Save the Children is recruiting this position for the USAID’s MaMoni Maternal and Newborn Care Strengthening Project (MNCSP) in Bangladesh. The program is focused for strengthening the health systems for improved utilization of quality maternal and newborn care (MNC) services by:
- Improved responsiveness of district health systems to deliver patient-centered MNC services
- Improved quality of MNC services and governance of quality of care
- Sustained improvement in access and demand for MNC services and household practices
- Improved national capacity to deliver quality MNC services at scale
What You’ll Be Doing (Essential Duties)
The Maternal and Newborn Health Technical Advisor will work as part of an interdisciplinary team to provide strategic technical leadership in the area of maternal and newborn health. This is a leadership role and will serve as a key member of the project’s senior management team in Bangladesh, will supervise and manage a team of technical advisors and will work closely with other technical and thematic teams and consortium partners.
This position will be based in Dhaka and will be responsible for ensuring the overall technical excellence in the project’s interventions and strategies for improving maternal and newborn health and to provide state-of-the-art technical assistance to the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare for achieving the goals of the Health Population and Nutrition Sector Program for reducing maternal and newborn mortality in Bangladesh.
This position will work with the program counterparts in developing, strengthening, and implementing MNH interventions based on a broad knowledge of evidence-based and promising models and internationally-recognized best practices in MNH. This position will collaborate with the key officials of MOH&FW, development partners and other stakeholders supporting MNH in Bangladesh.
Key Areas of Accountability:
The Technical Advisor will work closely with other technical advisors and consortium partners to lead the MNH technical interventions supported by MaMoni MNCSP. This position will oversee the focus of the technical assistance provided to MOH&FW at the national level as well as in the priority geographic areas. In addition, the Technical Advisor will support the Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning team to develop and implement appropriate measurement and learning metrics for MNH interventions. This position will work closely with the Quality Improvement thematic team to make sure that the QI approaches are well integrated within the MNH interventions. The position will also supervise and manage a team of technical staff.
Maternal Health: LOE 40%
This position will guide and support the Program Director for Maternal Health and the Technical Partner to implement evidence-based maternal health and family planning interventions, including:
- Readiness of health care facilities to provide MH care and family planning within the context of integrated MNCH/FP
- Improved patient satisfaction and provider compliance with evidence-based guidelines for routine and emergency obstetric care services
- Technical assistance to the MOH&FW to adopt and effectively scale up evidence-based maternal health interventions with quality
- Identify and implement appropriate research and learning initiatives to advance maternal health interventions in Bangladesh
Newborn Health: LOE 40%
This position will guide and support the Program Director for Newborn Health and the Newborn Health Team in the planning and implementation of:
- Effective scale-up of high-impact, evidence-based interventions for newborn care of essential newborn care, equitable access to inpatient sick newborn care, and outpatient care where referral is not possible
- improved provider compliance with evidence-based guidelines for newborn health care
- Improved quality of MNH care
- Provide technical assistance to MOH&FW to adopt and effectively scale up the evidence-based newborn care interventions
- Identify and implement appropriate research and learning initiatives to advance newborn health interventions in Bangladesh
Staff Supervision: LOE 20%
The Technical Advisor will supervise the Program Director for Newborn Health, Program Director for Maternal Health and Program Director for Midwifery, and provide overall supervision to a team of technical staff in the maternal and newborn health thematic areas.
- Supervise a team of 7-8 technical staff, providing guidance and mentorship as needed.
- Ensure the technical integrity of the project’s work including product quality and timeliness, and provision of quality technical assistance.
- Support technical staff to ensure cohesive activities and effective communication across technical and support staff.
- Ensure appropriate staffing of the project, planning and implementing specific actions to recruit, manage and motivate project technical staff
- Ensure that project staff have clearly defined objectives and understand their responsibilities.
- Ensure compliance with staff development strategies and performance management systems and evaluations.
- Support technical staff in identifying high quality consultants to fill technical content gaps, as needed.
- Advanced degree in public health, medicine or social sciences with in-depth and broad knowledge of evidence-based and promising models and internationally-recognized best practices in maternal and newborn health
- Specific training in leadership and management
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant field experience in public health programming and a minimum of 5 years’ experience working in a developing country health system setting
- Strong working knowledge of health systems in low and middle income countries; experience in strengthening the capacity of local partners in MNH required.
- Experience in provider compliance with evidence-based guidelines for maternal and newborn health care
- Experience in quality improvement and quality assurance in MNH program
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with evidence based model in MNH program from home and abroad
- Demonstrated track record of working with Ministry of Health and local counterparts to promote the use of program and other relevant data for decision-making
- Experience in leading and inspiring others, developing self and others
- Experience in innovating and adapting, delivering results, problem solving and decision making
- Demonstrated ability and skills in high-impact, evidence-based interventions for newborn care of essential newborn care, equitable access to inpatient sick newborn care
- Demonstrated ability to articulate technical information clearly and effectively and in flexible and adaptive programming
- Able to work within a tight timeframe, managing MNH team members and meeting deadlines and deliverables to partners and donors with flexibility to travel as needed.
- Excellent interpersonal and leadership skills and experience in managing teams.
- Experience relevant to integration of gender in health
- Excellent writing and oral communication skills in English essential
- Willing to travel about 25% of the time within Bangladesh as well as internationally
- Proficiency in MS Office
About the Organization
Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we are dedicated to ensuring every child has the best chance for success. Our pioneering programs give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. Our advocacy efforts provide a voice for children who cannot speak for themselves. As the leading expert on children, we inspire and achieve lasting impact for millions of the world's most vulnerable girls and boys. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours.