FHI 360 seeks a Technical Director for Maternal, Newborn and Child Health (MNCH) for an anticipated USAID integrated health and systems strengthening program. USAID Malawi supports the Government of Malawi (GOM) and their Ministry of Health (MOH) to improve health service, systems and outcomes as part of a broader vision for self-reliance and sustainable impact, which includes strengthening local institutions, systems, greater ownership and accountability, and increased private sector engagement. The activity will work with local partners and health system counterparts to strengthen health services and systems to effectively manage resources and deliver high-impact health interventions.
The Technical Director will lead the technical aspects of the project’s scope of work and contribute significantly to the effective and timely implementation of the project. S/he will provide the technical leadership necessary to increase access to, quality of and community demand for priority health services. S/he will be responsible for providing leadership for senior advisers and managers for the direction of this integrated health program’s technical areas including, reproductive, maternal, newborn and child Health (RMNCH; particularly high-impact interventions and immunization), malaria, nutrition, family planning (FP), tuberculosis (TB), quality improvement, health systems strengthening, and local partner capacity strengthening. The Technical Director will be responsible for the design and management of technical strategies and activities to realize project objectives. S/he will support the Chief of Party in the technical design, roll-out, and day-to-day management and implementation of interventions. The position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi.
- Lead and manage the technical team at national level by providing technical direction for strengthening health systems in Malawi.
- Stay abreast of developments and evidence generation in technical areas and integrate them into the project.
- Design and lead program quality assessments at regional and district levels to monitor project performance and provide technical troubleshooting.
- Engage consortium partners to review technical content and implementation planning prior to activity implementation, including collaborative technical assistance as indicated.
- Provide high level coordination with the MOH, other line ministries, and key stakeholders on technical issues for smooth implementation of national policies and strategies and project activities.
- Develop technical components of annual work plans, draft technical sections of quarterly reports, and ensure project technical objectives and deliverables are met in a timely manner.
- Engage necessary technical assistance and support as needed and ensure team responsiveness to technical assistance inputs and formal recommendations.
- Work with MEL Director to identify and develop program learning reports, quarterly and annual project reports, and other knowledge products (technical briefs, learning events, etc.).
- Medical Doctor with master’s degree or its equivalent in public health, health administration or related field.
- At least 10 years progressive experience public health programs especially maternal and child health, FP, nutrition, quality improvement, and/or health systems strengthening. Preference to be given to prior experience in Malawi and Malawian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated leadership capacity to build and lead technical teams.
- Demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships with senior level officials particularly interacting productively, proactively and comfortably with national and subnational government officials and institutions, NGOs, private sector groups, USAID, CSOs, and donor organizations.
- Experience in staff management and performance monitoring are highly desirable.
- Working knowledge of and experience with US Government funded program management, policies, regulations and procedures.
- Strong oral and written communication and interpersonal skills in English required.
About the Organization
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.