The USAID Next Generation Global Health Supply Chain (NextGen GHSC) suite of programs is expected to build on gains to date in achieving stronger, more resilient health supply chains for health commodities in developing countries. Within this family of Indefinite Quantity Contracts (IQC), the Supply Chain Technical Assistance project will provide a comprehensive array of services to improve operational excellence in supply chain performance, while supporting countries on their journeys to self-reliance to meet the needs of tomorrow’s populations. Task order issued under this IQC will support a range of activities including, but not limited to, improvements in warehousing, distribution, quantification, forecasting, procurement, transportation, and information systems with the mandate to achieve country-led and managed supply chain systems. The task orders will also provide support to refocus the role of country governments from supply chain operators to stewards of product availability and security. This includes leveraging the broader landscape of country capacities, including increased use of private sector, to improve supply chain performance and client experience.
The Technical Project Director will play a key role in winning and managing task orders under the NextGen IQC, while leading efforts to grow this technical area within Abt’s International Development Division (IDD). The Director will work with other Abt technical specialists to develop solutions to supply chain performance challenges, using both proven and innovative approaches adapted to the developing country context. The Technical Project Director will also be responsible for growing Abt’s supply chain portfolio of programs, identifying business development opportunities, and leading the submission of responses to donor solicitations, including RFPs for task orders issued under the USAID NextGen Global Health Supply Chain IQC. This position is contingent upon IQC award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Technical leadership
- Develop and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive strategy and unique solutions to strengthening and sustaining global health supply chains, drawing from Abt’s capabilities in system strengthening, capacity building, private sector engagement, and other relevant technical areas
- Provide quality control for projects awarded to Abt under the NextGen GHSC IQC and other procurement mechanisms in this space
- Business development
- Lead the development of a strategy to grow Abt’s global presence and expertise in commodity procurement and health supply chain management
- Lead capture efforts and significantly contribute to proposals in response to IQC task orders and other types of solicitations in this area of work
- Project management
- Provide technical and management oversight to supply chain projects awarded to Abt, including project staff supervision and coordination of administrative, technical, and human resources support across Abt’s various departments
- Serve as IQC Director under the upcoming NextGen Global Health Supply, ensuring timely responses to RFPs, coordinating the mobilization of country teams, and ensuring quality control and timely delivery of all deliverables on awarded task orders
- Oversee home office support to awarded task orders by technical staff in coordination with Abt’s finance, legal, human resources, and other Abt departments
- Play a key role in building and managing teams of global and local supply chain experts and other Abt specialists in response to task orders
- Significant (15 years of more) managerial and technical experience in supply chain management and systems strengthening in developing countries, particularly in the area of pharmaceuticals and medical supplies, with expertise in one or more relevant technical area (logistics, forecasting and quantification, storage and distribution, transportation, governance, supply chain optimization, data management, or organizational systems).
- Demonstrated progressively responsible supervisory experience, including assembling teams of professionals to respond to assignments, and providing oversight of COPs and home office professional and support staff
- Proven ability to serve as primary point of contact and liaison between USAID contractor and CO/COR, and between the contractor and Chief of Party in awarded task orders
- Significant prior in-country experience managing donor funded programs in developing countries, including Sub-Saharan Africa
- Strong understanding of and ability to formulate proven and innovative solutions to common supply chain management challenges in developing countries, including through better engagement of the private sector
- Excellent client and people management skills
- Advanced degree in business administration, public administration, international relations, public health, or other field, ideally with specialized training and/or experience relating to supply chain management
- Strong communications skills and fluency in English. Proficiency in other languages, especially French, is preferred
- MA/MBA (15+) years of experience OR PhD (10 - 15) years of experience OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.