Cardno Emerging Markets is seeking a Technical Director of Health to direct and manage Cardno’s health program portfolio. The Technical Director will have Health Systems Strengthening (HSS) expertise, and will direct and manage Cardno’s health program portfolio and teams to achieve strategic programmatic, financial, and operational objectives. The Technical Director will lead the design, development, and implementation of impactful health interventions, leveraging teams and resources to ensure all programs operate efficiently and consistently with Cardno’s vision and values. The Technical Director will serve as a thought leader to Cardno’s clients, program beneficiaries, and staff, building Cardno’s technical eminence and offering innovative and thoughtful solutions to achieve improved health outcomes. The Technical Director will be accountable for driving organizational growth and learning, and will lead teams of experts responsible for the design and delivery of innovative programs. As a key representative of Cardno, he or she must communicate effectively and maintain a strong professional profile and broad, influential network. This will include building and managing trusted relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders and countries, including governments, multilateral organizations, partners, foundations, and other clients and funders.
- Minimum Education: Advanced degree in public health, economics, or international development
- Preferred Education: PhD degree in public health, economics, or international development
- Required Minimum Experience: 15+ years working in international development in relevant, progressively responsible senior leadership roles.
- Additional Required Experience: 5+ years of in-country experience, and deep experience executing US government-funded programs
Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrated leadership on health systems development programs, with eight to 12 plus years of experience leading large-scale, complex health systems programs, including working in developing countries on HSS-for USAID-funded programming.
- Deep technical expertise in health economics/development finance/domestic resource mobilization, leadership/management capacity building, health information systems, and health systems policy development/implementation.
- Deep experience in providing technical assistance to strengthen individual and organizational capacity to address health systems issues and challenges with a focus on local empowerment and sustainable impact.
- Demonstrated and successful experience leading proposal development efforts for USAID.
- Demonstrated experience navigating varied cultural, political, and societal environments and possesses a high aptitude for working cross-culturally.
- Well-established track record of solid, ethical business judgment, financial stewardship, and a proven ability to build trust, foster collaborative relationships, and cultivate impactful relationships with diverse groups.
- Proven competency in financial management: capable of successfully managing complex budgets.
- Innovative thinking, practical problem solving and the ability to translate and apply knowledge to implementation sciences.
- Published in the area of Health Systems Strengthening.
- Proven successful experience working with USAID and other donors.
- Strong proposal development skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; ability to work in another language is a plus.
- In-depth knowledge of Africa and Asia.
- Demonstrated ability to make timely and bold decisions that have broad impact across organizational boundaries and stakeholder groups.
- Ability to balance speed and thoroughness even in the face of ambiguity.
- Demonstrated integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for Cardno’s mission.
- Knowledge and experience in the development arena: translates technical knowledge into practical applications and contributions to area strategies.
- Navigating the environment: perspective; dealing with ambiguity; organizational agility; political savvy and strategic agility.
- Ensuring delivery of results: functional technical skills; managing through systems; managing and measuring work; negotiating; information sharing; process management.
- Leading with credibility: approachability and developing direct reports and others; building teams; integrity and trust; managing vision and purpose; conflict management; creating visibility and credibility to appropriately position Cardno as a strong leader in the technical area.
- Personal competencies: ethics and values; strong listening, presentation, writing and communications skills.
- International travel required - approximately 20%.
About the OrganizationCardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd., is part of Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division with international development assistance companies in Brisbane, Brussels, Jakarta, Melbourne, Nairobi, Oxford, Port Moresby, and Washington, DC. Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. was formerly Emerging Markets Group, Ltd. and brings nearly a 30-year history serving the objectives of bilateral and multilateral donors and private clients. The Emerging Markets Division brings together a broad range of experience and talent; a rich history of innovation, passion and commitment to international development and an established reputation for high quality demand and client driven services.
Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division manages more than $750 million in current contracts and grants, brings together over 90 years of collective experience, and engages over 3,700 professionals in more than 100 countries. Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division currently implements over 130 projects globally.